Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just bougth a 1984 Chevy Suburban - I need suspension help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by spitdirtcom, Jun 11, 2004.

1. spitdirtcom

spitdirtcom Registered Member

Hello,

I just purchased a 1984 Chevy suburaban 3/4 ton with a small block. I am looking into lifting it 4". What lifts do you suggest. I just want front springs and rear blocks. It already has the dual shock kit on it (see attached) I was reading the installation instructions for the TC kit. It states that if you are running the dual shock kit, the auxilary shock extended lenght should be 26". Is that correct and how do I know which is the auxilary shock? I am thinking about running the Bilstein 5100 shocks. Are TC shocks any good.

This is my wifes daily driver so it will mostly be just driven around town hauling the kids. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Kory

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Tuff Country or BDS. I'm not a fan of blocks. I'd say ORD's 4" Shackle flip for the rear. Yeah the blocks are cheaper and easier, but I still like the ORD flip better.

3. spitdirtcom

Can I use the stock springs in the rear if I go with the 4" shackle flip. What kind of ride can I expect?

Thanks
    Kory

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

do you have any more pics of it? if those are stock springs on it they would be alot closer to the bumpstop by now. also the aux. shock they are talking about is the ones in the stock set up. where one is longer then the other. the kit you have just uses 4 of the same shocks.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Can I use the stock springs in the rear if I go with the 4" shackle flip. What kind of ride can I expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stock springs work well with rear flip. Ride is a little softer than stock. If your springs are good it sits just right. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Check out this link:
    'burb buildup

I did the writeup on this so that guys like you could check it out and know what it looks like and have an idea of how it works.

Hope this helps!

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Are you thinking that it is stock height now? Is that a pic of your sub, or did you just link to it? It is hard to tell by the pics, but if that is the leaf spring that extends out to the left of the bottom of the headers, I would guess that it is already lifted.

8. spitdirtcom

MY suburban sits at stock height right now. The pick is just a random pick I posted to show the dual shock setup that came on it. So if I go with the 4" ez ride springs in the front I will just need four 23" fully extended length shocks right? Will blocks be OK in the rear with 30" fully extended shocks? The lift is mainly for looks, it will hardly be driven off road, just to get me to campsites.

Thank you for all your guys help.

Kory

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have a 4" on mine, I like the look of it.
    Blocks will be fine in the rear. Not sur eon the measurements of the shocks when I did my 4" lift I just got everthing as a kit.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Just call ORD 970-945-7777 and they can help you with TC EZ Rides for the front and a block or shackle flip for the rear. They can help you with shock length as well. I ran the TC shocks until I went long travel up front and they worked fine but a Bilstein is gonna ride better. You probably dont want four stiff shocks up front unless you like a firm ride. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree with bigyellowjimmy, I think that dual shocks are too much for the front and will be too stiff. I run a 4" block and add-a-leaf on the rear of my K20 and don't have any problems. It never sees any hardcore wheelin', just a little mud every now and then. Get a price on a whole kit that has front springs, rear blocks, 4 new shocks (2 front and 2 rear), new u-bolts, and a raised steering arm. That should work good for your needs and be the cheapest way to go.

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I can just barely see part of the spring pack in the pics, but they don't look like they're stock. Your springs have the ends curved upwards, like a smile. The ends of the stock springs actually curve downward, like a frown. Your springs also have at least 4 leaves. The stock springs only had 3 leaves max.

Looks to me like you already have at least a 2.5 inch lift and an aftermarket dual shock set. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

What does the back look like? Does it have any blocks installed between the springs and axles?

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    MY suburban sits at stock height right now. The pick is just a random pick I posted to show the dual shock setup that came on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Evidently the photo isnt of his truck...

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We can get you a spring front/block rear kit, no problem. For your intended use it will probably be fine.
    The TCI shock lengths work pretty well for the 4" lift so you shouldn't have any worries there.