Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just brainstorming...International 4x4's???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Poohbair, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

just brainstorming...International 4x4\'s???

Just sitting here thinking, I have seen lots of the bigger 1ton and 1 1/2 ton International 4x4's for sale for dirt cheap lots of times. Does anyone have any idea what kind of front axles these have, and what issues you would have w/ putting them in a Chevy? I believe that they have pass side diffs. Perches may have to be moved, but that is simple...
    Maybe a bad idea, but just thinking of options since the price of Chev D60's is thru the friggin' roof.
    I think they might have the 6 on Huge bolt pattern...or maybe that is just some of them?

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Re: just brainstorming...International 4x4\'s???

Im pretty sure most international 1.5 tons used dana 70 closed knuckle fronts, but some later ones had the open knuckles.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What they put on Internationals is pretty much what is on them. International was cool. You could order them with anything you wanted. For Axles they used "off the shelf" Dana products and weren't special built.Just about All IH drivetrain parts were are bought from Major supliers ( Dana Saginaw, NP ect)Most of it was off the shelf stuff they already made for the other Auto builders.
    A lot of Internationals were custom built rigs. You went into a dealer told them exactly what you wanted just about any combination of IH engine/drivetrain parts. and they custom built it for you, within reason. So IHs could have just about anything on them.
    I'v owned quite a few Internationals. Parts from Chevy Dodge and Ford all fit them. So there is no reason the axles off internationals wont interchange with a chevy if you dont mind doing a few minor mods.
    I had a 67 travelall with D70 in the front and a FF/Detroit locker in the rear. it was ordered that way by the orginal owner. I dont rember what the tranny and X fer case were but I know they were Iron monsters and pretty much bullet proof. The thing was pretty much indesteuctable.With a good set of MTs it would go anywhere you pointed it. I really miss that truck and have always been sorry I sold it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Its too bad auto dealers today aren't like IH used to be.
    It would be great to go into a dealer and get an Avalanche with a D60 and a 14 FF /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    But i guess thats why IH got forced out of the small truck business. I guess you cant compete anymore if you give people what they really want.

4. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Haha Thunder, we still have an IH "light truck/Scout" dealer here in Portland /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    BTW Pooh, I want a cheap IH if you see any more /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif