Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Call Me An A$$HOLE (caution, Ford Pic)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Jan 2, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

So, I’m selling my old Ford truck. I was asking $6500, but would take $6000. A guy looked at it on Friday and decided he wanted it and offered me my minimum price of $6000. He told me that he couldn’t get to any bank until Tuesday (tomorrow) due to new years and asked if I would hold it for him. I took that to mean if someone came along and offered me $6000 cash, on the spot, before Tuesday that I would turn it down. Anyways, today a new guy called me up and asked if I would take less than the $6500 asking price. I told the new guy that I practically had it sold to tomorrow for $6000. This new guy then offered me $6800. I called the first guy that I told I would hold it for and said I had a new offer of $6800. Since money talks, I would offer it to him for that price and if he didn’t want it at $6800, I would take up the offer from the guy today. He didn’t want it and was understandably pissed. Am I a dick or should I have turned down the higher offer?

DSC01932.JPG

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

tough call for 800 bucks.... its more like, is being a @$$ worth 800 bucks? I dont think i'd do it unless i couldnt make rent or something like that, i cant really say with out being in that situation

3. gauder

gauder Banned

The first guy didn't even give you a deposit, so good for you.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Sounds like you guys had a verbal contract, and you went back on it. I'd be pissed off too.

EDIT: Gauder makes a good point.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

If you told him you'd hold it then your answer is yes. A guy's word is his honor in my book.

On the other hand the 1st guy could have put some money down for you to hold until the bank opened.

All in the individual perspective.

6. gauder

gauder Banned

I've been burned too many times holding something for somebody that didn't give me a deposit, to explain my view.

7. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

You should have got a deposit, we would'nt be having this conversation if you had ( you would also be 800.00 poorer ). I dont think you were completly honorable and I think that cust. # 1 Is an Idiot for not securing the deal with a deposit. In my biz talk is cheap, show me the money and I'll pull your part.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, I'd never hold a vehicle without a deposit of some form.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i have been burned big time by people telling me they want it.

are you sure because i have interested partys??

tell them it is sold. ill be back in a week.
    two weeks later

oh i cant get the money from my insurance company, do you want to trade for funiture?

call other interested guy, already bought a truck becuase i said it sold.

now i still drive the burb. 1000 up fornt non refundable or no hold

BTW nice loking truck

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would have told #2 that the truck was tentatively sold, taken his phone # and if # 1 didn't pay up on tues, called #2. Problem is IMO that you told #1 you would hold it and didn't ask for a deposit. If he said he would take it as soon as the bank opened on Tues, You probably should have given him the chance. I would be POed if I was #1.

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah but he dident just take the money and say screw you to #1

he called him and allowed him to make a counter offer, and #1 dident want anything to do with it.

my old boss used to deal with cars, he ALWAYS had 1500 dollers on him at all times, never know when you might see an old pontiac, money talks and bull**** walks,

he would always give me **** for not carrying at least 500 on me at all times.

if you go to a swap meet and say oh i want that hold it for me, they will sell it to the first person with cash in hand, it is how it works.

if #1 guy was really serious he could have gotten 500 bucks out of the atm for a deposit

now if #1 already gave a deposit and then you said well #2 has 6800 your an ass but that is not the way it went down

12. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Because you called the guy and gave him the oppurtunity to match the higher bid I think you did ok. He should have left a deposit then it would have been his at the $6000 because then it would have been sold, or at least a deposit taken and not a could you hold it for me. I look at it like yeah I will hold it for you till someone else comes along and buys it first.

13. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

You gotta post up and tell us if guy #2 actually came through with the money. To offer $800 more over the phone without even seeing the truck is odd.

I'm betting the only one who gets screwed is you!

Good Luck.

Eric M.

14. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Sorry, forgot to include that part. We did meet up. He gave it a spin and then gave me a deposit.

15. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

that's one of my mottos when it comes to selling things.

16. cbbr

I have to disagree with you on this one - Neither you nor I would get into a bidding war over a truck that we already had an agreement on.

I agree with this and #1 should have offered it make a deposit.

When I agree to something I go through with it. Yes I have been screwed, but that's just me. I would have hoped that he didn't come through, but I would have allowed #1 to but it for $800 less because that's what I agreed to.

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you wouldent get in a bidding war?

ok here is a 1962 blazer mint condition, 3400 miles

i dont care about it give me the 500 dollers that is owed on it you say ok i say ok but you dont give me any money and walk away.

a call you and say you want to pay 600, because there is a guy here with 600?

and you wouldent bid on it? you would bid on it if it was worth it to you.

it was worth it to the other guy and he payed for it.

18. cbbr

I guess what I'm saying is that if I agreed to pay $6000 and the seller agreed to take $6000 and hold it for a few days, and then the seller called back and said that the price was now $6800 I would be pissed.

Part of the problem is that I understand "hold it until tues" as "I will bring you the agreed upon price and pick it up tues" not "hold it unless someone makes a better offer".

19. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

you are also assuming the buyer was a good as the fokes here on ck5, but hold it til tuesday could meen i could get the money on tuesday but ill come by when ever i feel like it friday maybe.

20. cbbr

Agreed. Like I said, I have been screwed by people that said they would come get it in a few days. That's why i take the other phone #'s and one of them has always come through.