Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just changed my gear oil, that stuff stinks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xnoahx, Dec 22, 2002.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Anyone else notice this? I just got done changing it in the front diff and the oil smells really bad, not like the usual, comforting oil smell but the somebody needs to change the baby smell. wierd stuff /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Duh. Wait until you haul a diff in the back and it soaks into the carpet. Good times. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

wait till it gets contaminated with water. it smells bad enough to gag a horse.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My gear oil doesn't smell. I did away with the bad smell of gear oil. I am running Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil front and rear. No bad smell for me no more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif To bad it is $8 a quart. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I do hate the smell of normal gear oil though. The worst part is the fact that you can smell it even after you have washed your hands several times.

My buddy has a 66 Chevy Pickup with a wood bed in it. His brother left a gallon of used gear oil in an open container in the bed, and my buddy drove off and didn't know it was there, hit a bump, and it spilled all over the wood. It soaked in and you could literally smell the gear oil for months. It was terrible. Everytime you went to get in, gear oil smell /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Well, what do you expect a million year old rotted animal to smell like. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

ok try getting it in your hair, i have Long hair and have gotten it in my hair and it was miserable. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> What are you talking about? I love the smell of the stuff. I especially like how you can actually taste it if there's alot of it around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

8. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

yeah i love the smell too

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Nothing better than the smell of gear oil in the morning. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ha! When I used to service computers in Houston, one of my customers was a company called Lubrizol. They make gear oil at that plant, so that was all you could smell within a mile of that place! (But it still wasn't as bad as going into one of the Champion Paper paper mills. Whew!!!! Those places smell really bad from miles away, standing next to the equipment that is making that nasty odor is total sensory overload! ) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

very little can compare to the aroma of fresh hot 80w90.

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Burnt synthetic lube has a fine odor also.
    Aint nothing like rolling in that stuff all night, you still reek of it even after a couple times through the rain locker.

13. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

HA so true, i just changed my tranny,tcase,and diff oil last friday, It have enough water in the rear end that it looked like light grey tremclad /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it was pretty gross. I proptly ran my vent line into the cab after that!

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Gear oil aint bad. Deisel is what kills me. Cant stand it. I could never drive a rattler. Uhhhhh there is nothing worse than the oder of a diesel rig mixed with a hangover. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Diesel smell is better than gear oil, what are you thinking /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif