Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just changed my transfer case oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Mar 2, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all you guys and girls who told me how to change the oil in my NP203 transfer case. I don't know how long it was in there, but even though it looked clear and new, when I smelled it it was like rotten food or something! Amazing! I'm sure it was at least 5 years old. It took 3 1/2 quarts to fill it with the 10W30 oil, and was $9.

I'd recommend you guys doing the same. Show some care and love to your other half, change that old oil[​IMG].

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

My 205 just got some 80w synthetic. She is happy

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

How do you change the gear oil in your NP205? I'm sure I can find this in my Haynes book, but just wondering, b/c I haven't even thought about this yet. What type of oil am I suppose to use also? Thanks
    Boss

4. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Why all the differences in lubricants?

My manual recommends ATF, Dexron II, 5 quarts for the NP208.

5. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

Re: Why all the differences in lubricants?

I suspect it's because of the internals of each case. Some have chain drives (208 / 241 / ATF), others are full gear (205 / Gear oil) drive, and some have a differential in the case (203 / Motor oil). Just an observation...

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

When in doubt... GAS IT!!

6. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Your OK Kim. That's "by the book." Mr Red has same T-Case & I changed mine last spring. And, I think Crash is right; I read that in one of my manuals.

Anyone got a good solution to gett'n that stuff back in. You should have seen me spill'n that stuff all over the place. I tried routing garden hoses etc. What a pain in the a**. I'd love a good trick! This should be changed very often!

<font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

7. James Rusty 79

James Rusty 79 Registered Member

Here is a trick to put oil in the transfer case without the mess. Use a quart container of 90w that has a screw top with a nipple on top but with the oil you want to use. cut the nipple and put a hose on it that will fit it. There you go. I do this all the time to put oil in the rear axle and in transfer cases. I hope this will help you out with your fill problems.

James Rusty 79

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

The guys that changed the oil on mine used an old manual greaser, the ones that are a cylinder with a lever on the side to pump and a rear one that moves a piston inside to fill it. Well this one had only the rear piston lever and had a hose instead of the greaser arm

He just unscrews the pump, fills it with 1/2 qt, screws it back, and pumps it with the rear piston. It was very clean, but it was slow.

They also had this automatic pumps with hoses that come from the ceiling and pneumatically pump the oil, but they just had 20w50 90w, and 40w on those ones. That would have made everything quicker.

At least I got the oil changed, and Kathy (my Blazer) is happy, and so am I [​IMG].

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

9. IDGMC

IDGMC 1/2 ton status

my local parts store sells a very inexpensive pump that screws on to the top of a oil bottle....it has one end that sits in the bottom of the bottle and the other end you put in your fill hole....then you just pump the thing and withing about 5 minutes you have fresh lubed t-cases.....i think the thing cost me about $4.00...worth ever penny!

10. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Hell Yeah,,, go get that pump,,, it even has a wedged end that clips in the fill hole,, so you don't have to shove 10 feet of hose inside or try to hold it. It's only a couple bucks.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

dishwasher soap bottles, syrup bottles. I've used both for quite a while. Notmuch comes out till you squeze it. Give it a shop. IT'S CHEAP

Kyle
    89K5