Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just couldnt do it

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by kennyw, Nov 4, 2002.

1. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I pulled the cover on the 12 bolt I was supposed to swap into my truck this weekend. Seemed a little too close to needing a rebuild and I dont want to be changing axles again in the next year.

So I got to thinking... I have 2 parts trucks with Dana 60 rear axles that would bolt right in. They probably have 4.10's and maybe one will have a Powr-Loc. If I sell the new 31" tires and chrome 6 lug rims and buy some bigger tires that make up for the gear change the only change to my gas mileage should be the added weight. I can go to rear discs to help lighten it up also...

I dont want my daily driver to become a big project but redoing the 12 bolt axle again in 6 months would be more work anyway...

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

WOOHOO! Dana 60 rear it is! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    I mean.............. well if you think you should.

3. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Go for it! perfect excuse for taller tires /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif then when you find a front 60 you'll have dual 60s! now how cool would that be?!

by the way thanks for the tires and wheels. they are on the truck and ride much better than my bald bias plys did-imagine that! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. kennyw

Yep, anyone find a cheap Dana 60 front for under $400 let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Otherwise I am back to my typical scrounging and trading till I get one.

5. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the axle, I hope I didn't mislead you /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.
    When I switched from TH350/203/10b/12b/3.73 to TH400/205/60/14bff/4.10, I went from 6-8mpg to 9-10 in my Sub.

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. kennyw

No I dont feel mislead. I knew your price was dirt cheap and I have a friend that needed a rebuildable 12 bolt anyway. So I am giving it to him in place of money I owe him...

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Kenny, I have a Posi 12 Bolt Corperate Ill sell ya CHEAP if yer in a bind

8. kennyw

I still have my trailer axle under my truck to keep it on the road (12 bolt 3.40 gear truck box trailer that is). Just cant use 4x4 till I get a 4.10 8 lug front to match with the Dana 60 I have...

Anyone need nice 31 x 10.50 mounted on 6 lug rims? I have them in the forsale section...