Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just curious about a bumpstop for my front axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Dec 22, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My truck is the only one I have ever seen this bumpstop on. It was semi-functional when it was stock height, but now it's just another corner to my brick-like aerodynamics. You can see it right under the swaybar. It's supposed to contact the pinion fin. bumpstop

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm not sure when they started installing those. My '87 K5 had it and the '88 that I'm stripping also has it. I haven't noticed if my '90 Sub has one. My '77 K5 didn't have one, nor does my '75. Some little synapse in a dark, dusty corner of my brain seems to recall reading that it was added because if you jumped the truck really hard with the stock springs, either the housing or driveshaft would break the starter off the engine block. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    break the starter off the engine block

[/ QUOTE ]

so i find out how my friends starter REALLY fell off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It says something to that effect in one of my shop manuals. It recomended a larger bump stop on the passanger side.