Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just did a tune up.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, May 24, 2006.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

:doah:

1990 GMC F/S Jimmy
    350TBI HEI/700R4

Changed: Rotor, cap, wires, plugs. (all new) Coil: Off of parts suburban.(Believed to be relatively new)
    Drew a diagram of the plugs and order as I took it apart-so I'm pretty sure the wires are in order. Haven't checked against my manuals though, yet.
    All connections seem to be secure.
    I pulled the valve covers off when I was in there just to paint them, so I had to disconnect some "stuff" but I can't find anything I forgot to re-connect.
    The gasket for the PCV valve was toast, and died when I was taking it out. Right now the tube for the PCV is plugged, but the PCV hole in the valve cover is still open. IIRC an improperly operating PCV valve can cause rough operation.
    So why is my truck running like poo-poo? :mad:
    First time I took it out the truck just seemed a tag sluggish and the shifts weren't correct. Since I had accidentially moved the rotor a bit when working on it, I played with the timing a bit to get it running better. All I managed to do was get it running worse, and I can't find the wires to my timing light...
    Any suggestions as to where to look? I don't think it's a firing order issue, it runs too well for that.. but it doesn't sound as good as before the tune up and it doesn't work right of course... Think it could be timing? :(

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

EGR valve, EGR solonoid??? but I would also check for a vacuum leak.

3. hawkeye649

I'll take a peek at EGR valve function.... may have disconnected something whiel I was working on it. It was running at 5 Hg before I connected the PCV by using an almost equally junk gasket from my burb. Now it's up to 15hg and fluctuating about 4 hg very fast. My boogs say to suspect valve guide problems but I don't think that's my case, it was running fairly smooth till about 3 days ago when I stabbed it and got 1 fart out of it and had to re-stab, so I decided it was tune-up time....

4. hawkeye649

WAY retarded timing... limped over to my friends motorcycle shot and set it and it flew on home. It's idleing very high and that's what threw off the "by ear" timing. Hopefully once the reset ECM learns it's self again it will run lower, or I need to figure out what's causing the high-idle....

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status