Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just did the removable door hitch pin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OrangeCrushK10, Jan 21, 2005.

1. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I've learned a few things, too.

1. Our doors are HEAVY!
    2. Preferrably have a helper with this.
    3. He's right, a Drill Press would make it a lot easier.
    4. Hey, I can lean out and see my tires!
    5. Wow, my original bushings were jacked up bad!

It's a great Tech Write-up and easy mod. It took me a total of 4 hours by myself to do this, maybe less time as I wasn't counting. Also, I used a 1/16" drill bit and 1/4" mini hitch pin. I have no idea how they measure those pins, but it fit perfectly.

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you guys can run without doors legally, must be nice

i need to move

got pics ?

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if thay say anything tell them its a jeep on steroids. jeep do it all the time!!!!!!

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I did it awhile back. I did the hole thing with drilling the upper pins for the hitchpins to hold them in place. It is a waste of time in my experience. I used them once and threw them away. I just pop the hinge pins in and call it good. They don't come out because the weight of the door is on them so they don't slide. Even if they do slide it won't hurt anything if the door moves a little on the pin, and you will realize it when you open the door. Just pop the pin back in and your good to go.

The only time I had an upper pin walk out was when I didn't install it all the way when I was in a rush to get to the next trail we were headed to that day.

Harley

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Jeeps are legal to run without doors because they have the footwell and 5" door sill lip to hold objects in. If you drooped a flashlight or whatever in a K5 without doors there is a good chance it is on its way out the door and onto the road, in a Jeep it will just be sitting in the footwell.

Harley

6. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Well, here's a pic of the pin installed. I thought about taking a pic of the truck with the door off, but decided against it because I just wanted to get it done. Maybe tomorrow or next week 'll take it to the parking lot across the street for a poser shot with the doors off. :D

Here's the pin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i just took my doors off today. there not that heavy. mine are stripped down to almost nothing exept the glass, window crank and a few little pieces. since there off i might to the removeable hinge pin. also going to be fabing up some tubular doors.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have my doors pinned as well and started with a 3/8" stainless pin and bushings in the hinge halve. That ended up being too tight. drilled out the bushings in the hinges while they were bolted on and still too tight. Drilled them out again with a 25/64". Much better now but it still helps to loosen the single bolt on the door side of the hinge.

If you do your half doors right there can be enough lip left on to prevent things from coming out and falling on the road so that could be argued if you felt like having a roadside conversation. Not to mention that if you do have half doors on, you have doors.