Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just drove my friends '96 Mustang...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by tRustyK5, Apr 22, 2006.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This guy I work with has a '96 Mustang, just had a 331 stroker built for it (short block) but is still running stock heads and intake. Better heads and intake are on the 'to do' list for him.

Anyways, he was asking me how you powershift, says he had it at the track and guys were saying he shifts too slow. He said he thought maybe there was something wrong with either the clutch or the synchros'...and asked me to try it out for him. :D He also mentioned he was going to get new tires after work. :D :D

Anyways, even with his 'slow shifting' and being on street tires his car ran a 12.95 ET which is respectable IMO.

So, after work he hands me the keys and jumps in the passenger side. We have a couple of good long straight areas behind the shop, which is all in a secured compound so I didn't have to worry about other cars or people.

I did a couple short blasts through first with a quick shift to second (@ 5000 rpm), and the car definitely goes decently. i had no trouble shifting it quick, but it did feel a bit notchy...

Then I did a 4500 rpm launch in second gear just for grins...300 feet later the tires were still screaming for mercy. :haha: :haha:

He figures i could prolly do a better time at the track with his car, but I doubt it. It'd take me quite a few runs to get a feel for how best to launch it...

Kind of a fun end to an overtime shift at work at any rate, and not often someone hands you their keys and asks you to flog their car for them...:p:

Rene

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I always have to ask "are you sure about this?" haha

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did too...he was pretty cool about it though. :D

Rene