Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just finished installing dual batteries...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Dec 9, 2000.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

It took my Dad and I about 2 hours last night, and 2 hours this moring to get it done. We had some problems with batteries dying on us, so we installed two brand new ones, and a isolater. I think we were drawing too much power in the cab. There is a radio, amp, ham radio, and fog lights that were running off one battery. Well hope this fixed the problem....

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

3. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

and can you explain the isolator to me and where it goes,I have dual batteries also....just wondering if an isolator would be something I would need......thanks.......js

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My Dad is really into electrical stuff, so he basically made his own kit. The isolater was bought at a local audio place for $29.95, and all I know is that it recycles power to both of the batteries.I will get some more info on it later, when my Dad comes home.....

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you hook 2 batteries in Paralle they will kill each other if they are not performing exactly the same. All a isolator is is a big diode set up. It will allw both batteries to charge but keeps them seperate so one cannot drain the other. You can get a isolator at Pep Girls for a reasonable price. You can then take a Ford solinoid and use it to join the two batteries for say self jump starting ect. Just hook the trigger switch to a switch on the dash.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

My diesel blazer has dual batteries so would it have any problems powering stereo and lights and winch, etc.

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

8. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got myself two of em too!! Diesl here....I don't think there is an isolator on mine...don't see the need for it unless I am doing some winching or running some really big lights, which I might be getting. I am getting tired of them idiot drivers pulling out in front of me....they won't move if they can't see!!!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com