Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Finished Lifting The Body.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Well hello there boys and girls. Just thought I'd post my experiences with lifting my K5's body with the ORD 1" body lift and Energy Suspensions bushing kits. Tip #1: Check to make sure all parts are included in your kits. The bushing kit from Energy suspensions was missing two 2 1/2" washers. Saturday night at 7PM is not a good time to find out your missing something that can't purchased at LowesDepot or Pepcheckzone. Especially when you have to get the job done in time to go to work the next day. Tip # 2: Use penetrating oil (WD40 ect). There are holes near the captured nuts that I sprayed WD into generously in hopes that some would get to where I needed it to. Tip # 3: removing you gas tank may not be necessary. I dropped mine only to realize later that it was extra work that gained me almost nothing. OK so I got to wash off the inside of my gas tank skidplate, big deal. Tip #4: some tools you may need that aren't the obvious include, some prybars, some kind of torch, a small car type scissor jack, a hacksaw, a wire wheel or brush, and a ruler. Tip # 5: Don't forget to disconnect wires and linkage that will limit body/frame seperation (Eg wire from starter to firewall junction, shift linkage)

I started lubing the hardware a couple of days before I started the lift, I also read the instructions. I was lucky enough to realize where the extra sleeves went before it was too late even though the instructions left that part out. The bolts and nuts all (except front sleeves) came out by hand tool even though power tools were on hand. The instructions warn against using an impact wrench on captured nuts for good reason, it would really make the job more of a PITA if your captured nuts escape and spin. I had to use a propane torch to heat up the factory bushing sleeves on the front to remove them from the bolts. A pair of vise grips and the impact wrench would not budge them. Heating them with the cheap hardware store propane torch and using the weight of the body got them out. I put a peice of steel diamond plate between the bolt and the frame and lowered the Hi-Lift and carefully applied the torch untill they came loose. Once off I discovered that the front sleeves on my rig were too long for the new bushings so hacksaw to the rescue. The sleeves are also where the wire wheel came in handy the factory sleeves needed some clean up for the new bushings to fit. Doing one side at a time as directed I found it difficult to line up the bolts with captured nuts. This is where the prybars and scissor jack came into play. It took some creativity but I managed to get everything lined up inspite of the slightly bent frame that I discovered while doing this job. Warning body and or frame damage may make this job very difficult. I also had to visit the local hardware store for some longer bolts in some places the supplied bolts weren't long enough(ruler used to measure). They even had the round headed carriage bolts for the bed so I could have the smoother sliding bed, and one person tightening advantages. I hope that this information helps make doing this to your rig easier. BTW I got almost 2" of lift from this because the factory bushinges wer so bad that the body was almost sitting on the frame.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

My next project is to replace the body bushing's.. Thanks for the info!

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Thats an example of a good quality post. [​IMG]

**WARN**ing, Something winching this way comes! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mccords.s5.com/myk5/index.htm>NashvilleK5</a>

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I just haven't had time to call ORD to order the exact same set up for my 75. What sort of problems did you run into with the fan? I'm thinking of going to electric but may be a while before I find the one I want.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

5. I think the only problem you would run into with the fan is the shroud, if you have a one-piece...problems. When the body comes up so do the mounts for the shroud. Basically the fan will hit the bottom of the shroud. Electric fan would bypass all of those issues however.

If no electric fan then the top half of the shroud will work...sorta. Here in Phoenix AZ, while at a stop light without the bottom of the shroud, tends to heat up a little. If you were in bad traffic alot, might cause temp issues later on.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. Greenblazer-AZ

I haven't dealt with the fan yet. When I bought my rig the fan shroud on it was not the right one( I don't think it was even a Chevy part). I removed it before I started. I have the right fan shroud from my 3/4 T parts truck. I don't think it will be a problem because I plan to use a bunch of zip-ties to put it on, and the way it is designed i think it will go on without a problem. The only problem that I didn't really mention was the fact that, silly me, I forgot to disconnect my shift linkage before doing the lift. I don't know if I bent the linkage or if the lift has just thrown it off, but park is now reverse and drive looks like it's still in park. I'm more concerned with that right now. I just have to use my parking brake, and avoid parking on any hills till I get that sorted out. I was planning to install a floor shifter anyway so that may be how I solve the problem. In the meantime I'll see if it's bent and try to straighten/adjust it. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

7. I have constant problems with the shift linkage, I am convenced it is because of the lift. It needs to be lengthened, mine is at the absolut limit and still connected, but when it comes loose it's a drag cause I have no parking brake. And it always seems to come loose on a hill of some sort.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

8. Greenblazer-AZ

Sounds like the floor shifter may be the way to go.

Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

9. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

I'm curious as to why your tranny linkage was too short to begin with. You should have enough play to readjust after the 1" body lift. Just weld some extra round stock on the end of the tranny linkage and you are all set!

<font color=red>"DON'T TAKE LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY, YOU WON'T GET OUT ALIVE."</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Well I can't explain what it was, but I just crawled under it and messed with it and it now works. It's still sloppy like old Chevy's usually are in the shift collum, but at least it works now. Why or what???????? I have no Idea.

11. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Maybe it is just not tight enough. Make sure to tighten it so it won't slip off.

<font color=red>"DON'T TAKE LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY, YOU WON'T GET OUT ALIVE."</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Thanks! I got to go test it right now. I just got called in to work. Later, Allan aka Greenblazer-AZ.

13. Greenblazer-AZ

Well the shifter is working but I still don't trust it without the parking brake. It goes into park, but it has poped out of park twice, and started rolling as I was climbing out. Untill I either fix the problem or install the floor shifter I'll just have to deal with the parking brake.