Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just finished my 14bolt install, thoughts, prices & pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to thank everyone that helped me with picking the right stuff. Except the u-joint /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif the 1330 is for u-joints with internal lock rings and the 1310 is for u-joints with external lock rings don't think it has much to do with being 10 or 12 bolt.
    Its too bad because I got a smoking deal on a 1330 to 1350 conversion spicer joint then noticed it was too long and he didn't have the 1310 to 1350 so I had to go to a parts store and pick up a precision joint for $40.
    Any way to recap so costs so far,
    14bolt gov-lock 4.10-$150
    7 8 bolt 15x8 w/3.75 bs-$100
    U-joint-$40
    Synethic diff fluid 75w90,Silicone, brake clean, brake fluid, Grade 8 bolts, etc-free /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (sometimes I love work)
    2 Tires mounted and balanced-$40 (did I ever yell at the tire guy for that, f'in rip off).
    Spring pins-$2
    U-bolts w/washers & nuts-$40
    So-far $372 (candian prices, probably $250 usd)

Only a few problems, went i was ready to let the 10 bolt down it was siezed in the springs at the center pin so I had to take the pin out and the springs spread apart, that was a hassle but gave me an opportunity to flip my overloads /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif also I spent so much time trying to get my brake lines of my 10 bolt to stick on the 14bolt and rounded them of with a line wrench so I had to use visegrips finally go it all together and went to bleed the brakes and the bleed screws broke off.
    I think I'm just going to sell my old 10bolt and buy a rear disc kit.
    Some of the parts I had to pay for made the install a little more expensive like the stupid tire shop, the u-joint and the u-bolts.
    Went good took about 3 hrs of actually working on the truck and about 8 hrs running in and out of town 3 or 4 times to grab crap.
    Heres a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    The truck ended up with a little bit of a rake due to the little bit extra on the axle tube, maybe the 15x8s instead of the 15x10s that are on the front, I dunno?
    The track width is also very close right at the moment and you can tell in the way it handles.
    [​IMG]
    My new wheels, better than the bling chrome ones I had /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I just sanded the rust down and gave the a quick shot of duplicolor flat black /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]
    Heres the diff itself, looks alright flat black I think. The blocks look gay but what are you gonna do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Now I just need to do the disc brakes and get a front 3/4 ton under there.

2. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

thats awesome, and thanks for the list of stuff and price, now i know what its gonna cost me when i do mine (quite far down the road though), was it hard to find and 14 bff with 4.10's? cuz thaz what im lookin for. im jus kinda concerned with the loss in clearance (all i do is mud) does anyone know how long it is from the bottom of the axle tube to the bottom of the housing? i heard it can be shaved considerably, thanks.. and tha flat black looks very nice, ill have to do that too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it can be shaved considerably. Mine is a 13 bolt. I went too far really. I have to add some type of skid plate so I don't crack my housing /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. All in the name of clearance!

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Thats exactly what I'm looking to do right now or soon. Guess I should get the bigger tires first! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

it was pretty easy to find, and the fronts have been easy to find so far but only the 1st gen ones not the second gen ones though. I will update my costs when I get my disc brake conversion figured out, as long as it doesn't cost a whole bunch more than replacing the factory drums. I do like the idea of being able to clean the easily though. I tried to do my install as cheap as possible so I stuck with a cheaper diff, it rides nice no more or less vibrations than before /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Its funny though I figured going from a 3.08 to a 4.10 would give me more of a noticable differance but it really isn't all that noticeable. And yes it really is 4.10s and my old diff was 3.08. My motor is a 305 and its pretty torqueless so that might be the reason.
    I can really, really notice it in 2low I thought it was low before now its seriously way lower.
    Its not as much of a dog around town (like it used to be) and on the highway its not as bad as I thought it would be.
    The reason I thought it would be more noticeable is because I had a old chevy short box 2wd that I swapped the 3.08 for 3.73 and the differance was like night and day it would roast the tires like mad after it got the new diff.
    I haven't gone in the mud yet to see if I can finally use 4hi because my front diff is screwed and different ratio anyway. Soon enough I hope though.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Nice job Fry!!

It is nice to have the peace of mind that a 14BFF provides when its under your rig!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks.
    And thanks for the help so far, I still haven't found a front diff but am thinking I would like to buy some brakes for the 14bolt cause stopping might be more important than going on the ice this winter /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

It is nice to have the peace of mind that a 14BFF provides when its under your rig!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    thats what its all about. Even on the street the thought of "i'm gonna kill this 10 bolt" was in the back of my mind every time I hit the stupid pedal. I didn't kill it but I wore it out pretty darn good.

9. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Very nice Fry, looks like a good clean install and that total price is excellent, you allways get good deals /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks for the replies everyone.
    I took my 10bolt out before it got screwed up so I could still sell it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Did you have to cut the spring mounting pads and reposition them? I was told the 14 bolts have a wider pad spacing and need to be moved to work. Looks nice though.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I was told the 14 bolts have a wider pad spacing and need to be moved to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You only have to do this if the 14FF came from a 1 ton, but a 3/4ton 14FF will bolt right up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    when I was rolling the diff under the truck I thought to myself I hope the guy didn't lie about it being a 3/4 ton /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Just to update my 3/4 ton swap again I just picked up a front diff well actually 2 1-1/2 ton and 1-3/4 ton front 10bolt, came with calipers, pads, brake lines, rotors, extra axles, etc and the best part is that I traded it all for an old winch that came with my blazer when I bought it.
    Its all apart right now and looks great, 4.10 gears, everything looks in great shape, not bad for being free.
    Another cool part is now all I need is the disc brake bracket and rotors since I'll just use my front 1/2 ton calipers of the dana 44 thats on my truck right now.
    I'm going to buy a bearing kit and slap it back together and hopefully get it in this coming weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Free? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif you really come across some great deals Fry.....dang Im jealous /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif