Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just finshed my tranny install now "Check engine" light comes on. Help...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 7, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Just finshed my tranny install now \"Check engine\" light comes on. Help...

I just put a brand new 700r in my 1990 rig. Everything is stock. Now my check engine light comes on and "I think" my idle drops and becomes slightly rough when it does. If I turn the engine off and restart the light turns off and everything is ok for a while. I also put a tach in. Where do I begin? any ideas? Thanks.

2. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Just finshed my tranny install now \"Check engine\" light comes on. Help...

check all your fluid levels, including oil.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    It has one of the very first 700R4 transmissions ever built.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

make sure no wires are pinched in between the bellhousing and the block also make sure that when you put the tranny in you did not damage the oxygen sensor wires.

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I think you bumped your oxygen sensor. It is in that general area and could have got damaged during the change. My old man's Jimmy did the same check engine routine and he had it fixed and it works fine.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

5. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

why dont you check for which code is showing .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

6. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

So I ran the error codes and it came up #42 electronic spark timing. When I installed the tach, I connected it to the free end of a white wire comming off the coil. Was this the correct wire? The tach works but mabey I messed somthing up. Thanks

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

That is the factory wire for a tach. All I can say is disconnect it and see if it was it. I think some of the older wired were brown but for the majority of years its been white.

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

The wire should be green not white, Ill check again tomorow but the white is a timing disconnect to set the timing it runs towards the wire junction and plugs into a wire the same color.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

9. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

So if my timing disconect was disconected, where exactly does it connect?