Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just found

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by unclematty, Aug 13, 2004.

1. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

a dana 70 front axle, old closed knuckle style, I want it but it's in forked river NJ and needs to be picked up, seller won't ship, too big, can somebody pick it up for me and then get it shipped for me? of couse I'm paying for everything /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Its not worth the time or effort to get it if you want a strong axle. It is only marginally stronger than a Dana 44 open knuckle due to the closed knuckle design.

3. unclematty

I've done extensive research into the weakness of the closed knuckle, it can be totally rectified by removing the spindle studs and drilling the outer knuckle for the 3/8 spindle studs from a gm dana 60then installing them wallah, fixed as strong if not stronger then any other d60 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

It also has the smaller axle shafts and ujoints too that would need to be upgraded. I'm not saying it can't be beefed up, but at what cost? I guess one benifit to that axle would be really low gears already installed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. unclematty

[ QUOTE ]
    It also has the smaller axle shafts and ujoints too that would need to be upgraded. I'm not saying it can't be beefed up, but at what cost? I guess one benifit to that axle would be really low gears already installed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    but if I can pick it up for under one bill even with shipping, I'll find the rest of the high zoot parts piecemeal around here, most of the d60 fronts around here are of the light duty parts anyway, the big parts axle cost upwards of $1200.00 so either way I win, thanx for the concern though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Plus, how many people can say they have a K5 with a Dana 24, Dana 70, and Dana 60. Did they ever make trannies? If so, you'd be the Danamobile. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. unclematty

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif