Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just found..

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Paxx, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I just found a 3/4ton 6.2L truck for sale for $1500. It would have the J code engine so that is good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My question is would it also have 1 ton axles? I asked the guy if it was a 2500HD and he said "I think so, it has alot of springs under there" .... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif and he said the engine is in need of a tune. He said it blows blue but that is because it needs new injectors?... anyway if I got this truck it would be for the axles and I would get the engine rebuilt. What do I look for to know if the engine is worth rebuilding? I'd hate to buy it and find out the engine is junk. thanks
    Max

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3/4 tons didn't come with one ton axles...it would have a 10 bolt front and SF 14 bolt rear.

Rene

3. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Depending on the year, 3/4s probably have D44 or 10 bolt front and 14bsf rear. Becarefully about the blue smoke, that sounds like rings to me. I like the 6.2, not a huge powerhouse but good MPG and low end torque. Also keep in mind that diesels are 3 to 4 times more expensive to rebuild.

4. tRustyK5

The first year the 6.2 was available was 82...which merans it'd be a 10 bolt front for sure./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    3/4 tons didn't come with one ton axles...it would have a 10 bolt front and SF 14 bolt rear.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Well 3/4 ton is 3/4 ton not 1ton.
    The front is like Rene said 10bolt.
    The rear could be 14bSF 9.5"
    or 14bFF10.5" and most 3/4ton trucks I have seen are 14bFF.
    The subs and Vans came mostly with 14bSF.
    Now for the blue smoke, that is unburnt diesel fuel so it's most likely a fuel problem or bad glow plug system.
    If it was white smoke I would be worried, it's rings.
    Blue should be an easy fix.
    You would check the injectors first and the pump second and also check the glow plugs or better yet change them for 60g's.
    The price is right, not that the axles alone are worth that much but the whole thing, if running I think is worth it.

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Blue smoke can still mean rings. That unburnt fuel could be from low compression, know from experience on this one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    I'd try for a compression test if at all possible. Yes on the 60Gs, also heard good results from the replacements John Kennedy sells, has a smaller tip than a 60G so it heats up faster.
    Seen lots of trucks from the '80s with the 14bSF. I believe that only 1 tons and bigblock 2wds came with a FF after about '81. All 6.2 3/4 tons I've seen have had SF rear axles. Keep in mind by now many SF axles have been swapped out too.

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Blue smoke might clear up after it's run a while, mine smoked for a while because it hadnt' been driven. Could also be a dirty air filter I believe (I alwasy get the smoke colors mixed up). What color smoke means what? this link will tell you what to expect with which color smoke for the most part.

8. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now for the blue smoke, that is unburnt diesel fuel so it's most likely a fuel problem or bad glow plug system.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, but that is way off. Blue smoke in any engine means oil being burned. White smoke is unburnt fuel from low compression or low combustion temps.

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, but that is way off. Blue smoke in any engine means oil being burned. White smoke is unburnt fuel from low compression or low combustion temps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess everyone sees the colors differently.
    To me the color that I see on a blown gas engine which is white smoke, is burning oil, so when I see the same in a diesel I assume it's oil.
    Now in my diesel the blueish grey smoke that comes out a lot lately cannot be oil because if it were I would be loosing too much oil but when I change the oil after 5k miles it's the same.
    The distinction isn't the easiest.
    Now black is very obvious so you can't mistake it.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Well I just went and looked at the truck.
    Its 2wd with what appears to be a 14bff rear, with IFS? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    The papers he showed me said 82.
    the diesel blew a big cloud of blue for a while until it warmed up a bit. it blew a bit while I accelerated couldn't tell quite what color it was, light blue-white?
    the engine mounts were rusting out a bit so the engine shook a little more than it should. He said the u joints needed changing pretty bad. felt kinda rough on acceleration but im not sure how rough is too rough. Could this have damaged the engine at all? the engine felt pretty strong for as hard as I could get on it with the bad joints.
    New rad, which I need for my 91 chev right now.
    I'm pretty sure it was a 14bff but that just doesn't sound right with ifs.
    Is there anything else it could be? The clip on the diff, wasn't on the 10:00 bolt like in the ff picture, more on the 1:00-2:00 bolt. If that even matters. the shape of the diff was the same though for sure.
    sounds like a not bad deal. Would the tanks fit in the blazer or would I have to find a tank off of a blazer?
    If this all sounds ok to you guys I think I'll offer him 1k and see if he takes it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Oh and keep in mind I'll be getting the 6.2 rebuilt. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

No, the black smoke is hard to get wrong. It happens to be my favorite color of smoke from a tailpipe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    No, the black smoke is hard to get wrong. It happens to be my favorite color of smoke from a tailpipe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That explains why you followed me down to Potosi and all along the trails!!

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    Its 2wd with what appears to be a 14bff rear, with IFS?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the 2WD had independant front suspension. A-arms and coil springs...

[ QUOTE ]
    the diesel blew a big cloud of blue for a while until it warmed up a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds pretty normal...

[ QUOTE ]
    Would the tanks fit in the blazer or would I have to find a tank off of a blazer?
    If this all sounds ok to you guys I think I'll offer him 1k and see if he takes it

[/ QUOTE ]

Saddle tanks won't work on a Blazer...

We picked up a complete running 83 1 ton 2WD (6.4, TH400 and 4.10's) for about half that money. I'd mention that anyone that won't even change a U-joint isn't so great at maintenance so your bound to find much more wrong later. Dicker the price down...

Rene