Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just getting started on a "frame off resto" 72 blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BB, Sep 19, 2006.

1. BB

BB Registered Member

Hi,
    I am a new subscriber and I have about three zillion and two questions to ask. I just purchased a 1972 4x4 blazer and I am planning a complete frame off restoration, I also purchased a 1989 sub with a TBI 454, (you can probably see where I'm going here). I picked up the complete suburban for $600.00 just for parts, TBI, Wiring harness, computer, sensors, Corporate 14 bolt rear end, fuel tank sending unit & plumbing, tilt column, etc. before I get started any advice on compatability, best feul tank to use, wiring, will the 89 steering column fit the 72, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, BB

blazer.jpg

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If that blazer is as straight as it looks, I would leave alone.

oh yeah, nothing will fit, the motor, steering column, nothing. Looks like you need to find another project to chop up:D . Did I mention that is one good looking blazer as it sits?

3. BB

BB Registered Member

Thanks, the quality of the photo is hiding a few wrinkles in the old body, and there isn't much left of the interior, but the good news is there is virtually no rot on this truck. Bummer about the steering column, but one way or another the TBI 454 will be going in the truck.

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I was bsing about the steering column, I actually have no idea if it will fit or not.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Hey, welcome to the jungle!!
    That is a very clean K5 you have there:bow: . Do you know if it's a coastal Blazer? Meaning it's from the coast of any state? The exterior looks pretty rust-free. My '72 K5 Blazer has lived its whole life in Idaho and is virtually rust/rot-free. Yours look the same way.
    Without a body lift it's going to be a real b-itch getting the 454 in there. You can do a firewall mod, though.
    Please keep the progress pics coming during your restore:D !!

6. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You may want to consider cutting down the burb frame and mounting the blazer body on it, might be easier in the long run.
    The column will fit but just looks wrong IMO in these year blazers.

Big blocks will fit but not without some mods.
    There are a fair number of threads here and on other sites describing the process, have fun surfing.

Welcome to the board, enjoy the ride. :waytogo:

7. BB

BB Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback, near as I can tell my blazer was built in California and has been here ever since, it spent some time in southern CA & has been in northern CA since 99. I bought it about a month ago at a garage sale, wasn't really in the market for one, but after three trips back to look at it I figured I must want it and the rest is history. I plan to post photos as I go.
    Thanks again, BB

8. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Nice looking K5. Mine is that same color combo (ugly yellow/white top).

That's an ambitious project but you can't go wrong here, most of these guys will bend over backward to send you info and pics and there are loads of searchable threads on almost any topic.

Good luck!

9. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The easiest way to get a big block in a first gen is slide the whole front crossmember forward about 2 inches. It's kind of a balancing act to keep clearance on the firewall but still have enough room for a fan, especially with a long water pump.
    The column won't work
    An externally mounted fuel pump in front of the fuel tank works just fine.
    That Blazer is really quite clean (especially compared to Utah iron), take your time and make it right, would be a shame to see it get butchered.
    Feel free to contact me with any Qs, I've done a few big block and TBI swaps on first gens.

10. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

The key on the column and key on the dash will look odd but it is possible to use a different steering column.

Here's a sweet truck that shows anything is possible with someone with skills

[​IMG]

Welcome to the board!

11. BB

BB Registered Member

WOW! Thanks again for the feedback, I don't think I am as ambitious or as patient as the builder of the truck in the photo posted by Yukon Jack, that is some impressive work.

I was hoping to use the 89 column because I wanted a tilt and I was thinking that wiring might be easier using the harness out of the 89 burb with the 89 column.

12. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

BB, where in CA are you? I'm up north in Chico. I've already met another CK5er in person up here... networking is great for parts plus it's awesome to talk first gens and check out each other's rides. My rig is in build phase right now waiting on the soft top so I can line-x the tub and put the roll cage in. A frame off restore is a time and $ intense endeavor, if you're body is as straight as it looks I would recommend paint, new poly mounts, maybe a 1" body lift for more room to work, and a freshening up of the drive train. That way you can figure out what you need vs what you want.

What do you plan on using your K5 for?

Great find and welcome to the insanity!!

Here's 2 pics of where I started over a year ago.

Nate

IMG_0139_1.JPG

IMG_0145_7.JPG

13. BIGEARL

BIGEARL Registered Member

Here's where I'm at now after 1 year:

- removed nasty carpet kit
    - rebuilt entire wire harness
    - sandblasted entire tub, removed trim with a full shave
    - 3000.00 paint job OUCH
    - new winshield
    - new poly body mounts and 1" ord aluminum body pucks
    - ORD Zero rates (moved the rear axle back 1.5" to get it centered)
    - had to lengthen rear driveshaft ( only to be replaced later with 1350 joints) not one of my most well thought out moves
    - ORD 4" shackle flip (not installed)
    - new grill
    - new 4-core radiator
    - new gauge cluster, door panels, arm rests... blah blah blah
    - new grill (PO hacked the old one up mounting winch bumper)
    - new DUI HEI ignition
    - new Holley Truck Avenger 670 (works absolutely AWESOME by the way)
    - waiting on STC fast trac soft top
    - countless trips to buy new fasteners
    - a bunch of things I can't remember

And it's still just basically a "stock" K5 that looks kinda purty and sits in my garage with only the drivers seat installed. That list is one chapter compared to books full of mods and work alot of guys on this site have put into thier rigs. I've got 10K into it so far with another 10k coming in drive train upgrades, tires, and God knows what else. The want list goes on and on...

I tried to post some pics but the server is acting funny.
    I'm no expert by any means but I may be able to answer a question or point you in the right direction.

regards, Nate

14. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

The column will fit. It all depends on how much fabbing you want to do.
    [​IMG]

Notice Im not using the key on the column. The ingition switch is right in the way of the mount on the column. It had to come off. The only thing I use the key on the column no is to unlock the steering. Since Im in the process of converting to a manual Ill be seeing what I can do to ditch the key and shifting set up in the column. I also had to mod the firewall but you might beable to get away from that if you can find a way. I dont mind the work as long as I end up with a tilt for free. :D Where in norcal are you? Let me find a pic of the firewall.

15. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

You might beable to see what part of the firewall I added from the donor rig (79 blazer). Also note it would be a good idea to swap in a ujoint setup for the steering as I ended up with a crappy angle.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  16. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

if it were mine:

I would keep it as is and pick a different one to hack up. It looks to clean for a mod.

BTW welcome