Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got 69'd - My Official BUILD THREAD - UPDATED 11/23/06

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigbluesuburban, Sep 29, 2006.

1. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Well I just bought a 69 Blazer... ( I will get pics )

And now I am going to make it my wheeler.

I have a D60 / 14BFF in my shop that I am going to swap under it...

What problems can I expect? Spring pads in wrong location? Steering issues?

And... What are the best ways to solve these problems?

I realize that this is a VERY BROAD information request so if there is already info in the forum and you can just refer me to another thread... then do that. If you can just offer one little tidbit to help me, then please do that as well.

I really appreciate all input.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You suck, nothing will fit I will be out next week to bring it home.

No idea on anything you asked.:D

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the springs pad spacing is the same as 1 ton trucks in the rear. I put a 14FF under my 71 from a 3/4 ton and had to move spring pads in. No big deal though.

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Congrats :waytogo: !!

Depending on how stock your '69er is; it should be pretty straight-forward.

5. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Welcome.

You have come to the right place for advice. While I was doing my lift and brakes and questions would come up I would just head to the computer and search threads in either garage or the 1st Gen. posts and I always found something to help. Good luck on your buildup. Be sure to post pics of your progress.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Congrats on the score! :thumb:

You probably already know that there were only 4935 units built that first year.... so what you've got is really special.

On the 1st Gens, as already mentioned...you have basically found the perfect place to ask questions. (1st Gen Forum). Everything you want to do has already been done by someone else...so draw on that experience and save some headaches!

There are a couple of oddball things that will confuse you vs. the later model K5s.

Front Suspension: Leafs are shorter than late model K5's. So you can't easily use their lift kits.

Rear Suspension: Spring lengths are identical to later models BUT the pad width is different....so things like ORD shackle flip kits are unique for the 1st Gens.

Drum Brakes up front are a unique feature of the 69-70K5s. Doesn't sound like it will matter since you are swapping axles.

Take your time and read a LOT on these forums before you start spending money. Once you've READ a lot, start asking questions..... THEN once you're really sure of what you want to do (and how to get there) start spending.....and spending......and spending......and spending!!!! :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  7. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the 1st gen side of things. Get some pics posted when you can!

8. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Let's see some pics!

9. bigbluesuburban

Ok, well this not what I wanted to hear. If I have something this rare, then I really don't want to wheel this crap out of it. I want to keep i tnice and so now I am in the same boat I was with NO WHEELER...

NOW WHAT DO I DO?

10. IGOR

You start by posting pics! :D :D

11. bigbluesuburban

I will get pics today...

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

How about instead of wheeling the CRAP out of it, you wheel it in a more skillful way so that it doesn't get all bashed to hell...??? :wink1:

With rocker protection and some decent sized tires, there are plenty of places you can go and "represent" the 1st Gen K5 and not have to necessarily destroy all your sheetmetal.

If you want to run the really severe (or narrow) trails all the time, then you might want to start with something different. My conscience would bother me too much to destroy a 1st Gen (especially a '69) by using it for that type of wheeling. In my opinion, that's what the LATER model K5s are for!!! :D There are LOTS of those (something like 800,000 built between '73 and '91)....they are cheap and nobody will care that you wreck one or hack one up.

:usaflag:

13. bigbluesuburban

Well if I am going to 'gently' wheel it... Then I now need to build ANOTHER rig so that I can really wheel it. Which makes me wonder if putting my 1ton gear under it really is the best bet. I don't think I want to waste a D60 and 14BFF under a rig that is never going to see hard wheeling.

I thought I had a real gem when I got this thing... now I am starting to think that it is a curse wrapped in really great sheetmetal.

Oh well. I guess I have time to figure all this out.

14. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

If you got the K5 for a good deal, maybe consider selling it to get the wheeler that is better suited for what you want. Gotta agree with what is being said above - if it is in good shape, it would be a shame to mangle it.

If it were me, I'd keep the one ton gear for your next truck and enjoy this one for the cool rig that it is.

You could pick up a rough 73-up K5 for pretty cheap and you already have the 1 ton gear to make it killer tough.

Seeing your pics will make it easier to know which direction you should go. My 70 K5 is clean enough that I already know I won't be beat it up bad (like I have free time to do much of that anyway).

15. vtblazer

vtblazer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

WHEEL IT!!!

Unless of course it's real purdy or something.
    J/K - if it's beyond restoration, why worry about it?
    If it's not, restore it and enjoy the ride.

You've got a good start with the axle set, now all you need is a doubler/triple sticks/low gears/alloy axles/beefed up drive lines/1ton master/disc's/beefed up tranny/lockers/winch/full cage/rock sliders/big a$$ tires/bead locks/lift kit/shocks/hyro steering/high steer kit/
    spare tire carrier/on board air/fuel injection/
    some kinda monster motor ......................................................................... .........oh my gawd somebody stop me! :haha:

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

hey Lee if the sheetmetal is nice I'd just do your 35" boggers on some 3/4 tons.

17. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

I have a '69 as well. The sheetmetal, althought it has a little rust here and there, is STRAIGHT as an arrow. No door dings, no nothing. And yet everyone I know says I should be building it instead of my Nissan as a wheeling rig. I tell they they are crazy. It's going to be a nice streeter/beach rig and that is all. My Nissan is already beat up enough for the two of them.

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

and still no pics, come on Lee

19. IGOR

LOL - I was going to post that exact message today Jeremy!

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have seen a buttman angle of it on Arturos camera phone when he swung by Lee's shop but I wanna see the full meal deal.