Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got 71 K5 Blazer... Need some help already :-(

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by into100101, Nov 7, 2002.

1. into100101

into100101 Newbie

Waasssuup! My name is Russell and I hail from San Diego, CA. I just took receipt of my 71 K5 blazer 2 nights ago, and it has issues. It has a SEVERE driveline vibration in the rear. I removed the rear shaft and put it in 4x and the vibration went away indicating a problem in the rear...

The u-joints were used, but not wrecked, they were in decent shape. It has a 4" lift, and this is where I think the problem is... There are no pinion alignment shims under the lift springs, so the angle appears to be negative! I just picked up some 6 Degree shims and hope these do the trick. Any comments, suggestions?

Thanks!

2. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5 man. Might want to put your location in your information also so people don't ask everytime you post. Your on the right track with the shims but there are many here that are much more knowledgeable then me.

Evan

3. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Change the u-joints. It's cheap & good insurance. If you still have the vib after the shims & u-joints, maybe the d-shafts needs to be balanced.

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

on the bottom of the spring there is no little block or anything?just the pin going into the bottom of the spring?with the degree shim you should be a lot better off if there is nothing there now.just make sure the center pin is long enuf to go through the springs.i have a 4 degree that came with my procomp springs and it works good with no vibes.you just have to check that the 2 joints on the shaft to see what angles they are and that the both match up to the same angle.that will give you no vibes in the rear shaft.

5. Green71

Green71 Registered Member

Welcome, youve made an exellent choice in buying a first generation k5 Blazer. As for your problem, i would hold off on installing the shims and replace the u-joints on both ends of the driveshaft first - very cheap and easy to do. If the vibrations are still happening, have the driveshaft balanced. While youre down there, check the condition of the yokes, if a chunk or 2 is missing, it will cause vibrations. I would install the shims last, after i checked everyting else out. I only say this because from what i remember, driveline angles arent really affected until you run a lift of 6" or higher. I would save the shims for when you lift it higher /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Keep us posted on how it goes! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Just a thought you may check to make sure your rear driveline is in phase - aka the joints are parallel at each end of the driveline. If someone took the slip apart and put it back together wrong it will vibrate like hell.