Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got a 77 blazer....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by namkrow, Apr 30, 2004.

1. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

My first post, be gentle...

Anyway, I picked up a 77 K5 tonight. I was wondering what the emissions deal is. The engine is a 350 with Doug Thorley (sp) headers and a q-jet carb. The exhaust appears to be a 4 into 2 into one (per side), then both go into a turbo style muffler. The exit is on the passenger side with the d/s crossing over just after the t-case. From what I see, the stock muffler was on the other side (guessing). This is a California truck.

No catalytic converter to be seen. (should I worry?)

I only paid $1,000 for the truck /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif, but...it's getting it's TH400 and NP205 harvested from me this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

SM465 and new(er) NP205 hopefully to follow.

BTW, this is my first real project truck, so...I'm hoping to learn a bit about sheet metal repairs and fabrication. I do have a welder (Mig) and a small plasma cutter, so...this should be fun. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

Thanks for any advice on the cat issue. I'm not sure it even came with one.

-T

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Hey welcome to the site. Sounds to me likle you got a pretty good deal on ur K5. Why dont you fill out your profile so we all know where ur from. As for the cat you can get a high flow cat from summit pretty cheap.

Nick

3. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey welcome to the site. Sounds to me likle you got a pretty good deal on ur K5. Why dont you fill out your profile so we all know where ur from. As for the cat you can get a high flow cat from summit pretty cheap.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

So...it's supposed to have one??

BTW Nick. I'm "Tom" on the socal board that you belong to. I sold the 42's from my Ford to Chevyhs (Richard) and met 74blazer (Mike?) a while back.
    -T

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not all trucks from that erea had cats. My 76 never had them. Those headers are the TRI-Y's, damn good header in my opnion. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My '78 came w/o cats and did not have the "unleaded fuel only" markings. It was federal not CA, though. Everything that I've seen that had a cat also had the "u f o" placards. You might want look & see if the catylist sticker is still on the fan shroud. It might have some info if its not gone.
    Good luck w/ yout project.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

1977 was the last year the K5 was built without a cat, even for Ca. You should be good to go!!! Just another reason to love the 1977's!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Awesome info guys!

I will take a look tonight.

First step is to register it, then...stop the rust (not everywhere...but...soon will be) /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif... /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif .../forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif and I'll be good to go!

-T

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5 membership, congrats on your new ride /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Thank you.
    I realize I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I think this place is going to work out great! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    -T

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome man! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I too...have a 77' or 2..
    I aggree with mouse...
    77' was the last year without cats...
    but in CA...that may be a different story... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

There is hope that he can pass without the cats.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I know the smog nazi's are pretty diificult to work with. Let us know what happens!

13. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is hope that he can pass without the cats.... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I know the smog nazi's are pretty diificult to work with. Let us know what happens!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in PNO (planned non-op) status right now. The DMV wouldn't let me register it without a smog cert (obviously). When I get it rolling, I'll get it smogged and let you know what happens. It does sound pretty mean with these headers, though! BTW, I found out (by looking) that it's got Dart heads on it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif. I have no clue what the valve size or chamber size is, though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. Runs pretty good, though.

14. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Did a little research.
    77 Blazers in CA did not have cats (except the 400 CID models, which did).

They do have a smog pump, however (350's and 400's)
    -T

15. Alaska K-5

Alaska K-5 Registered Member

It seems you found the answer you were hoping for, but I thought I would add that I had a 77 K5. Also no Cats on mine, and it passed emisions twice while I owned it. Both times with a vechicle inspection performed, this was in Alaska not California though....either way, good luck and happy building!