Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got a 77 K5 Blazer for $204.52!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scout62, Apr 27, 2003.

1. scout62

scout62 Newbie

I won this truck on ebay! Anyhow seller says it's a 350 but vin says it should be a 400, anyway to tell aside from casting #s? Can someone tell me what emissions gear this truck should have and what the vapor canister looks like? Body is kinda rusty and the interior is ok and it runs good. The tranny sat dry for 2 years so it's shot now but I'm hoping to have it rolling by the sencond week of june when I'm going camping. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Man! you cant beat that. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If it's the original motor, more then likely it is a 400 and the owner didn't know the difference.

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

77 is the year! ok, well I own that year so I'm partial. The smog stuff on a 77 is pcv valve, heat riser and all
    your vacuum hoses in order. No cat needed on this year.
    Most likely it's a 350. Trucks this old have been through a few owners most likely.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man! you cant beat that.

[/ QUOTE ] actully you can. my dad bought a 78 k5 for $76 bucks and we actually drove it around yesterday /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

if you want to take the alternator off. there is a little pad on the passenger side infront of the head with a bunch of numbers stamped on it (you probably will have to scrape it off). there should be two sets. i think the first one has 2 or 3 letters at the end of it. take these letters and click here and select the correct page from the pull down and find it on the page and it will tell you what size, year, and sometimes what model it cam out of.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

nice. I got my 79 K5 for 200$ all the body panels were replaced including doors and tailgate and glassbut the floor was typically rotted in the usual place. floor support under the driver side floor was rotted away. no motor but the tranny was supposedly rebuilt with a shift kit. Bed floor is rotted and needs replaced. Instead of installing body bushings they used the flat square pieces of rubber used for pickup beds. and it needs a hood, call me a sucker but I wanted a project and something to put my 325hp 350sb that I salvaged from my chevelle into.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    77 is the year! ok, well I own that year so I'm partial. The smog stuff on a 77 is pcv valve, heat riser and all
    your vacuum hoses in order. No cat needed on this year.
    Most likely it's a 350. Trucks this old have been through a few owners most likely.

[/ QUOTE ] I've got a 76 K5 with the original motor and it's a 400cid sbc

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, My brother in law bought a '79 with new tires and a good motor for $200. Body is in good condition also. It has sat next to his house now for two years and not moved. I have tried to buy it many times. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

that blazer is a good candidate for a camo paint job /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

if you would have bought both of them he had, you could have combined them to use the best of both /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ratchetmaster

ratchetmaster Registered Member

harmonic balancer is how you can tell easily if it is a 400 or a 350. You can also tell by the flex plate if the inspection plate is off.

400s are externally balanced . . . the flex plate has a weight welded to it.

Also, the Balancer has a big "cutout" on the back side which is about 1/3 the total size of the balancer.

so rather than a continuous round shape that is about 1 1/2 inches in depth, it is missing the back side of about one third of it so that it is only about 1/2 in wide on part of it.

11. scout62

scout62 Newbie

so it's notched on the back side at some point? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif