Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just got a 89 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bUrLyBlAzEr89, Jul 10, 2002.

1. bUrLyBlAzEr89

bUrLyBlAzEr89 Registered Member

i got a question. Ive heard if i take the top off it will ruin the blazer because of the gm sealgives it a tight fit and 89's werent designed to take of the top off? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Bah.......I have the top on and off of my K5 all the time. I've never had any trouble with leaking. Your top and mine are indenticle. I know that some people have had probs with getting it to seal up again, it is a possibility, but you certainly arent going to ruin anythin.
    By the way....What part of Cali are ya in? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

It's looking like he's in Arroyo Grande, just north of me. And word up to taking the top off /forums/images/icons/wink.gif . I took mine off the month that I bought it and kept it off for 6 months /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif , when I put it back on it didn't leak one bit . Now it is off and on just about every other weekend with no problems /forums/images/icons/cool.gif . Hit me up if you want a hand taking it off /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . Congrats on the blazer and welcome to CK5!

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i got an 89 and took the top off twice and no leaks anywhre... it hasn't rained since then, but those drive through car washes are a test. just make sure when you put it back on you tighten the top/front bolts and the side bolts second, that'll help.

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

nah..they would not make the blazer with a removable top if it wasnt supposed to be removed!! lol /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Bryan

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Take it off! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I just took mine off my 89 a couple weeks ago and have had it off several times before that too. Your seal may rip but you can get those for $50 or so. If you have to put a new seal in then put a thin layer of Vaseline in it so it won't tear next time. When you re-install the top make sure to tighten the cab bolts first to pull the top towards the cab to make a tight fit.

7. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i got a 91 i'd like to ditch the top but what do i do about the shoulder straps of my rear seat belts.(they bolt to the top).just pull them off and use some lap belts or what?

8. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I thought there would be a way to mount the shoulder unit to the rail, but the holes didnt seem to line up with any on the bed rails. I just cut the belt out of the unit and made them into lap belts /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Take it off! Goin' topless is the only way to go! In my case, I can take it ALL off! LOL!! My top comes off all the time. In fact, once it's off, it's usually off for several months before I put it back on. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif