Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got a bunch of parts from ORD -- Where do I start?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by la_blazer82, Sep 16, 2004.

1. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

Just received a box of goodies I ordered from ORD, including: greasaeable bushings for 4" TC springs and for rear springs, steering arm brace, sway bar disco and new bushings, 1" zero rates, new u-bolts, 4" steering arm. I already have 4" TC springs, shakle flips HD front shakles, shocks, a 14bff, tires and wheels sitting in the garage. I'll be getting a 10bolt 8lug this weekend.

Where should I start first? My K5 is my dd, although it's only 9 miles roundtrip to the commuter train station, so I need to do a couple of things one weekend, and then the rest on the following. Should I start off by replacing the bushing out of the TC springs with the new ORD greaseables; can I install the steering brace b4 I lift, or needs to be done afterwards? Or maybe the sway bar disco & bushings.

I'm a novice wrencher, and have never swapped axles or dealt with springs before.

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Basically what you have there is a conglomeration(sp?) of parts that are all related.. I would start Friday evening and get as much done before Monday morn as possible. Then catch a ride to work(or take a cab) or something for the week if you dont get it done.

The swaybar diso's and steering brace could be done without the otehr stuff. But the springs, axles, bushings, shackles, etc. all pretty much go together.

3. la_blazer82

Kind of what I thought /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

There are enough cali members if you offer free beer and pizza for the weekend I bet they could get it all on for ya.

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That's a weekend project. If you're sure you have at least 99% of the parts you'll need you should get it done by Sunday. Start Friday so that if you need parts for Saturday the stores (and junk yards) will be open. If you already have a lift on the truck, the axles are easy. If your rig isn't lifted though you may need to do some tweaking (dropping the t-case, grinding the front cv, extending the brake lines) before you can safely drive it to work. All in all it's a bolt on deal like everyone else stated. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Also, asking for CK5 help is a really good idea. I had help when I built my first K5 from the guys on this site. Now that I'm building my second rig I don't need help because I had the first one to practice on.

77mudbuddy, fatboyblazer and leadfoot were all a huge help building my first Blazer. Thanks guys!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. la_blazer82

Blazer is a bone stock. Looks like I need new u-bolts for the front, and still need to buy the conversion Neapco u-joint for the rear.

I may just do that, ask for help from the site.