Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got a cutting torch. How does it work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Aug 27, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have never actually used one before. Its oxy-acetelene. What do you set the pressure at. Could someone walk me through getting it fired up?
    Thanks
    Brent

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Set your oxygen at 35PSI and your Acetelyne at 7PSI. Turn on Act only light and then add oxy till you get nice fine looking light blue flames that are = and crisp and do not change when you hit the high pressure air. You have to heat the metal before you can hit the air to cut, it will start to spark ever so slightly when it is hot enough. The thinner the metal the more you must angle the tip towards the direction of the cut. Also invest in some cutting goggles so you dont go blind. That is a down and dirty explanation. The rest will take practice. Get some thick gloves and try to position yourself so you can hold the torch without shaking. I try to use a straight edge as much as I can because my hands are not very steady. Good Luck.

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

also be careful with the acetylene pressure. It can explode if over 15 psi. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif get a book and read up on it to be safe.

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Be careful of your hoses too. Make sure they're away from where the molten metal/sparks are falling. There was a guy around here that got pretty messed up recently when a piece of slag melted through his O2 line right next to his feet.

5. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

JCG is right, we had a guy at work get burned pretty severly when he cut through his acetylene hose. It was like a wall of fire, a guy next to the tanks was fast enough to shut it off at the regulator.

6. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Re: Just got a cutting torch. How cool!

You have to be pretty careless to have the hoses where molten steel could drip on it. I got my leaf springs cut off last night. I must admit this is the coolest toy in my garage at this point.
    The rear leave spring bolts/shackle bolts were siezed so bad I actually ruined both shackles trying to get them off, I spent all last weekend with a sawzall trying to get the bolts cut out but being grade 8 they would just strip the teeth off the saw blades. I cut them all out in about an hour and that included putting the bushings out every time they would catch on fire. It got kinda scary around the gas tank but nothing blew up.

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you cut around your gas tank run a hose from your exhaust to your filler nozzle and let the truck run. The Carbon Monoxide from the exhaust will fill the tank and keep the gas from exploding.

8. wheelin72

wheelin72 Registered Member

i would invest in a safety book. Using it is not very complicated but it can be very dangerous.

9. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

1 more thing never ever get any oil or grease or anything like that on the o2 fittings because a full o2 tank at room temp has 2200 psi in it or at least somthing very close to that and the oil will spontaniusly combust(EXPLODE) and never oil the regulator screw and make sure they are both screwed all the way out(just so you can feel that they are lost you dont have to take them all the way out) befor slowly opening the cylanders(at first so that the preausre dont hit the reg. all at once) or they can shoot out or you could damage the regulator. and stand off to the side(of the reg. screw) when opening the cylander valve.

And never do anything that could get any aceteline in the 02 line (or hook up the lines to the wrong cylanders) because if you have 35 psi of o2 preasure and you preasureize the aceteline to 35 psi with the o2 it will go kaboom. Never let the acytline go over 15 psi or it will get very unstable.

and also never use the acytaline when the cylander is on its side and also i think you have to leave it standing up for a little after you have it on its side. if you do you us it on its side it will suck out the acatone that is in their to keep the acytaline stable at 250 psi. If you drain the acytaline down to close to empty( i dont know how far is to far my teacher said that when theirs get down to 50 psi they get them refiled. at home my dad uses a gas grill tank full of propane so i dont have to worry about that. the flame just dont burn as hot.around 4,000 vs. 6,000 with acetaline) you will also start to suck the acatone out and the flame will turn purpleish and you can plug up the reg.

Justin Behr
    behrs@tznet.com

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The rule for acetylene is called the 1/7th rule. Never run more line pressure than 1/7th the pressure left in the tank. Generally 7 psi is good for 95% of whatever you want to do so the lowest the regulator should ever read is 50 psi.

As for getting the lines mixed up...the 'fuel' line is always left hand thread and the Oxy line is always right hand thread.

Make sure to use spark arrestors at the regulators so if you do have a burn back you won't blow the place up.

Always secure the cylinders too. A good stable cart with chains around the bottles is good.

Rene