Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got a GPS

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by tRustyK5, Oct 9, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Picked up the Garmin eTrex Legend today. Seems pretty feature packed for the price. Got it for $182 cnd$ at wal-Mart ($151 US) Also got the adjustable car mount and 12 volt cig lighter adaptor.

[​IMG]

The next one up was color screen, but I really didn't care about that...at least not enough to pay another $50 for it. :rolleyes:

The mapping CD-ROM's sure seem pricy though...:doah:

Anyways, I can't wait to take it on the trail and stuff, in fact I'll probably be a bit more adventurous exploring knowing it'll help me backtack accurately.

Rene

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love mine, I have the yellow one and use it for running, hunting andkeeping track of trails, after messing with it for a few days I dont how I got along without one.

3. tRustyK5

It's one of those things i've been meaning to get for a long time. In some ways I'm glad i waited, they've gotten much more capable and a lot less expensive over the last 5 years or so.

My 'home' is

N 49" 11.266'
    W122" 51.209'
    elev 306'

Accurate within 6 metres.

Cool toy...and I'm sure I'll be playing and learning for days to come!! :cool1:

Rene

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have the same one. It's awesome. I absolutely love it. I purchased the Topo CD. It's nice to be able to download the section of map I need right into the GPS. As far as I could find, only the Mapsource CD allows you to actually download the map and not just the waypoints. I also like being able to download the trails I just went on onto the computer and see where I have been.

5. tRustyK5

Cool, i was hoping to be able to upload trails I've been on. :bow:

Rene

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Carry extra batteries. If they die when you have been saying "we'll just follow the GPS back home" while way out (fishing for instance) you will get a sick feeling. :( It is a lesson hard learned.

7. tRustyK5

Good point. I bought 4 of the Duracell ultra digital 'AA's and the 12 volt adaptor cable. I plan on mostly using it in the truck with the adaptor, and carrying the 2 extra batteries if I go wandering...

Rene

8. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

Here in the states we can contact the U.S. Geological service (via Internet) and order Brand new TOPO Maps for any area.... Very useful, Theres nothing like a paper map. Anyhow, I've had my Legend for about two years and I just found out I can change the "increments" to whatever these maps have on them and be right in line.
    You should always have a paper map and a compass because even a thick cloud cover will impair your recievers reception... and accuracy is totally dependant on how many satellites it can see.
    Other than that, the things are great, and their real usful for alot of things.
    You can even mark your favorite fishing spots with them and it will get you right back there.

Bill

9. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

So Rene, How do you like your GPS so far? I am looking at getting the same one you bought. Any problems with it so far?

THANKS!!

10. tRustyK5

No problems with it at all. I took it with me to Island lake in the interior of BC for a fishing trip with my buddy Stan. It worked flawlessly...

I have not bought any of the topo maps for it yet though, but the mapping stuff it does have seems to work just fine. i still think it's a great entry level GPS with a lot of good features for the price range.

Rene

11. Esteban86K5

COOL!!! Thanks for the info.:bow:

12. Esteban86K5

Well, i just bought one that came with the
    -eTrex Legend
    -MapSource TOPO CD
    -Training video
    -PC Cable
    -12-volt adapter cable

all for $150. :D

Hopefully it comes before my trip this weekend so i can try it out. But I doubt it.:rolleyes:

13. Esteban86K5

Got the new toy yesterday. Unfortunatly I wasn't able to get it before my trip, but I have still been playing with it a bunch.

RENE, your only 969.4 miles from me. We should hang out sometime.;)

N 35"24.930'
    W119"06.580'

14. terrier72

terrier72 1/2 ton status

I just got a gps this week, man this thing is great. I wish i would have made this purchase a while back.:D
    [​IMG]

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Topo software is due today. When I got my
    Magellan Color, I bought the streets software. That's excellent until ya get off the highway. I had planned on taking the laptop in the truck if I needed any topo info, but it's to worrisome having it too. And Geocaching is always away from the road. Check it out y'all.

http://www.geocaching.com/ You'll have fun!!!

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Rene, is that GPS water proof/water resistant?

17. Esteban86K5

It's waterproof at a depth of 1 meter for 30 minutes.:D

18. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

GPS is great. I have had my E-Trex about 5 years. I went fishing with a buddy, 18 foot Whaler, I marked the bouey (??) when we left, Morro Bay. It was dark and foggy headed out 170* (I think) 2 hours later it was light and the fog had burned off, no land in sight :o . Started hooking up with Albacore marked each spot where we caught fish. When I got home I put the coordinates in Topo USA and we were 63 miles from the port, in an 18 foot boat :eek1: . Luckily it was a beautiful day calm no swells, what a kick in the butt.

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's exactly why we keep lots of extra batteries around.

20. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I just retired my etrex in favor of a new etrex Vista, with color screen, memory card. Holy features batman! I was happy with the old etrex until I saw all the stuff the new one has. One thing I wish, is that when it's plugged intoa cig lighter or whatever, that the batteries would recharge. I just keep about 8 rechargeable AA's with me. But the new GPS will last longer on two batteries than the old one.