Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

JUST GOT A K30 . DO I USE THE 6.2 LETER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chrishoz, May 7, 2001.

1. chrishoz

chrishoz Registered Member

TODAY I GOT A 84 K30 (6.2,400T,205,DANA60,14BOLT F.F. ) SHOULD I KEEP THE 6.2 OR PUT MY 350 BACK IN?(GAS IS A 1.90 PER G. HERE. THANKS

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

No, just sell the truck to me!!! [​IMG] That one would make it four K30's for me then!!! [​IMG]

3. chrishoz

chrishoz Registered Member

SORRY ITS A 6.5 IS THERE A BIG DIFF.?(THE OLD FARMER SOLD IT TO ME FOR A $1000 ) WILL MY K5 BE A K35 NOW?

4. northgate

northgate Registered Member

I don't think your 350 will bolt up to the transmission as it has a different bolt pattern on the bellhousing.

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'd be quite a swap. Lots of work involved! Depends also on what you'll use it for as to which motor will better suit you.

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

They all use the same bell housing pattern so the 350 will bolt right in. I just did that. Even the mounts are the same. I don't know much about diesels but I hear the 6.5 is far better than the 6.2, especially with the turbo. I think if I had a running 6.5 in my truck I would have left it there and run it. The diesel in my K30 was DOA.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Excuse me but, If the diesel runs good why the heck swap it out? If it is a 6.5 and not a 6.2 that should mean it's turbo'd, Some non-turbo'd 6.5's were made but they aren't as good as the turbo'd ones.
    You can get some good power out of that engine if you build it right, You might wnat too pay the 20$ and register over here<A target="_blank" HREF=http://thedieselpage.com>http://thedieselpage.com</A> Lots of good guys over there who know just about everything you can know about diesels!!! And it's WELL worth the money!!!
    One other thing if you diden't know there is a seprate diesel forum on this web site.
    And one more VERY important thing, Writeing all in caps is considerd yelling and should only be used too make a point or if you really are mad as heck at somebody on here[​IMG].

[​IMG]

8. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I thought the diseil (however you spell it) block was closer to a big block then a 350? Just my memory failing.....AGAIN! LOL!

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That's the beauty of Chevy, they all use the same bell housing. Just “plug and play” (or “bolt” as the case may be). The older Diesel, BBC, and SBC use the same mounts and housing pattern but they got screwy in later years producing some "non-conforming" stuff.

Chevy really did things right providing all that interchangeability in parts. That covers stuff other than drive train too. For instance, you can take a tilt steering column out of an old impala (or other GM full size) and it will bolt right in with no mods (well, you do have to flip over the ignition switch harness plug which points out the opposite side on a car). If you have a stick in the floor, you can grab a clean column (no shifter) from a Camaro or similar that came with a console.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

K-35 or K-50
    Ric

<font color=yellow>"Wheel hard or go home."</font color=yellow>

11. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, I would rather have TOURQUE (& miliage,) in a truck any day! KEEP the diesel. GOPHERKILLER

12. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you don't want it I will help you part it out. Would be nice to have all that stuff!! The 6.5 will do good. My 6.2 did what I wanted it to do off road. The Diesels just don't die!! Read the MWSK5T report and find out why if ya don't belive me!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

13. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Speaking for the "compression heads" in the audience (SK15, K30 and the like) please don't hack it with a gasser! It's worth more as a diesel (check your local car want ads). If you don't like diesels, SELL IT! It should have came with a 6.2, if got swapped with a latter 6.5 it's worth even more. GM diesels aren't hard to figure out, become a DieselPage member it's worth every penny (I learned alot and I work on them every day).

14. thatK30guy

[​IMG] I like that new term..."compression heads"!!!! [​IMG]
    Personally, I dont have anything against diesels. Matter of fact, I would like to find an M1008 truck and use it for a tow vehicle. With the better fuel economy than the gas motors, I would be able to tow more stuff further than my 454's. [​IMG]

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

15. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Chrishoz, there's something about looking in your mirrior, and seeing that other outfit you just passed in a cloud of black smoke. It just does something to you! Keep the diesel. GOPHERKILLER

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The 6.2/6.5 are very capable motors with a little love and attention. Either can be built to outpull a PowerStroke or Dodge/Cummins. I'd stick with it, and start saving my pennies to put a Gale Banks turbo kit on it.

I have voluntarily axed "Pancho" in a bandwidth conservation effort [​IMG]

17. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

The 6.2 was designed by Detroit Diesel. It's all Detoit up in there and very stout. It just keeps going and going and going...Detroit built it to mate up to GM parts. Big block? I have no idea. The 6.2 is in a class all it's own. When GM signed off with Detroit(forgot what reason), they used the 6.2 architecture to design the 6.5. Also a stout motor. But niether has anything in common with a gasser.
    And forgive me, thatk30guy, should I provide any misinformation again.

18. thatK30guy

Nah, no problem! You're cool! [​IMG] I just wished I could find an M1008 military truck with the diesel for pulling my crap!!! [​IMG]

19. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I found a guy on ebay selling diesel military troop carriers, running(I think) and wired with street legal light kits for $4000.

20. thatK30guy

I have seen those too. But thats the problem. I dont want to pay that much for them. Who does? [​IMG] I have heard of gov't. auctions selling these trucks for the low price of $1000.00!!!!! [​IMG] Now that would definitely be the right price!!!!!!! [​IMG]