Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just got an 88 k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stizkidz, Nov 11, 2004.

1. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Hello,

I just purchased a clean 88 K5 today. It has the 5.7 motor and auto tranny. It has 113k miles and is in pretty good condition.

Anyway, off the bat I noticed 2 problems with the truck that I was hoping someone might be able to diagnose for me? First, the truck has 4 fairly new tires but the passenger front tire is worn badly on the outer edge, almost like the tire is leaning to one side when it drives. What could commonly be causing this problem? Wheel bearing or ball joint? Secondly, the engine feels sluggish and upon acceleration, the truck shakes pretty badly and only smoothes out when the engine isn't under a load.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
    -Ben

2. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

1st off welcome to the forum (and prepare to become addicted) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif the tire sounds like a ball joint, not positive tho.
    the running rough sounds like its probably maintence issue, ive had this problem 2 times since ive owned my '87 first time was a burnt sparkplug wire. 2nd was water in the fuel filter. both cheap fixes! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    maybe that will give you somewhere to start, im sure others will respond...
    good luck

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Secondly, the engine feels sluggish and upon acceleration, the truck shakes pretty badly and only smoothes out when the engine isn't under a load.
    -Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had that same problem with mine (which just happens to be an 88). In my case it was a misfiring cylinder. Pull all your spark plugs to identify which cylinder, if any, have not been firing.

Another possible cause, though rare, is torque converter shutter. This occurs when the TCC slips sligtly under load, usually due to low apply pressure.

4. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I read the FAQ and I know it says that to run 33" tires, you need a 4" lift kit. However, a friend of mine told me he had an 85 Blazer and that he ran 33" tires with no lift kit or any mods whatsoever. What's up with this? What is the biggest tires everyone else has run stock height?

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 K5, I was running 31s, now im running 33s. I am currently at stock height, though the springs are sagging a bit. I havent seen any real clearance problems, even with the worn springs. I have big plans in store for it, which will hopefully be done by summer. Hope you have fun with it.
    Randy

6. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

Do all the stuff everyone should do when you get a new vehicle. Go out and buy everything you need for a tune up, plus stuff like air filter fuel filter brake fluid trans fluid, and on your way back stop at a car wash and wash the truck. When your washing it look over it as you go you maybe suprised on what else you notice. Give the truck a tune up and then check each individual corner, jack up each corner seperatly check the brakes hubs bearing tie rods etc.. This will also help you to get to know the truck. Then maybe you will find the problem you are having. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Oh yeah CONGRATS /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Hi and Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have an 88 too. Check out my link below.

First thing. The stock Camber setting for an 88 is something like +1.5 degs +/- 1 deg or so. Mine was at +2 degs when I got it (which was within spec) but the tires were worn really bad on the outer edges.
    When you get new tires, have the camber set to +.25 +/- .25degs. Mine is currently set at Camber .5degs and Tow 1/8" and is wearing well.

I would recommend giving it a tuneup. Change the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, fuel filter (this can cause all kinds of issues) O2 sensor etc. Start out knowing what you got. Would also recommend changing engine oil and flushing the trans and changing the transfer case fluid and a good lube. At 110+K miles, its worth the investment. Im well over 200K on mine.

I installed 33" tires on mine before the lift. They will fit but depending on suspension, frame sag, etc they will probably rub in the rear part of the front fender when turning tight. I tooka hacksaw /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif and trimmed the rear part of the fender and all was well until I decided to do a 4" lift.

Theres a TON of info on this site and the "Search" function will provide you many answers. I would suggest spending some time searching the old threads for info as you will learn alot /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Have fun and enjoy the site /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree with everybody so far, give it a tune up. I have 33's on 10" rims on my 89 with just a 1" body lift. They rubbed the bottoms of the front fenders when turning. I just... tonight... bought an 88. all stock with 33's on the stock steel rims. they don't hit at all.
    The offset of aftermarket rims is differnt than the stock rims. If you put 33's on stock rims, they don't usually hit. but might with some aftermarket rims.

As far as the tire, I would check all the steering linkage, ball joints and tie rods. If they are all tight, have the front end alligned. But don't do it with the bad tire on the front. swap it to the rear first. An uneven worn tire in the front can cause the alignment to show off on the machine.

9. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

Yea, I am in the process of tuning it up as I get free time. I washed it today as well as vacuumed the interior and armor-alled everything. I also removed the ugly running boards that came on it and the cheesy looking bug-flector on the hood.
    Luckilly, the truck came with one of those "extended 6 month warranties" so I will be taking it to a shop and having the tire problem fixed very soon. I also suspect transmission/4x4 issues because there is tons of tranny fluid under the truck and all over the transfer case but I cant actually tell where it is coming from and the fluid is red and unburnt. The tranny bangs hard into reverse and I don't know for certain but the acceleration vibration I am experiencing, I suspect may be tranny related. The engine idles flawlessly and actually runs really smoothly, but I will give it a tune up nonetheless. Otherwise, the steering feels a little loose but not bad, the brakes feel really good, and the cooling system works fine, as does the heat. All of the accessories work fine, even the stock radio. The only things I need to get at the junkyard are a new dash, some door handle end caps, an oil pressure guage (or a new sending unit), and I need to figure out why the power locks are inoperable.
    Maybe someone can answer 3 questions: What size are the stock wheels? 15x8? Also, one of the exhaust clamps is rotted and I need to replace it but what size (stock)? 2.5"? And, what should I replace first, the oil pressure guage or the sending unit?