Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got it! What do I have?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Woodrow, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Woodrow

Woodrow Registered Member

I find myself in possession of a 73 blazer that I bought for $500. I always wanted one, but I am realizing that I know NOTHING about it at all, and haven't worked on cars for many years. It appears to be pretty clean (some rust), and is fairly stock except for the engine. It came with a 454, but now has a 350 that is way different than the one in my Camaro. I threw a carb for my son's 76 GMC on it (someone liberated the one that was on it), and it runs pretty rough. It also seems pretty weak powerwise. I'm guessing timing on that one, but I haven't looked at it yet. I assume my first step is to identify the major parts, but first need to know if it was worth the $500, or will be worth the effort to try to make it fun to drive and somewhat reliable. Where should I start looking to see if I have something worth keeping for something to fun drive in the summer, and more practical than the Camaro in the winter? A push in almost any direction would be very helpful

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You say "it came with a 454, but now has a 350". Was the 454 in it when you bought it? Blazers weren't available with a 454 from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for it running weak, check the simple stuff first. Plugs, wires, timing, etc. Also make sure that the secondaries are opening up when you floor it. If those aren't working it will really be a weak sister. While certianly not a powerhouse, the 350's of that era weren't complete dogs. It should be able to move that behemoth along rather well. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well, what is it? Auto or manual? K5s never had the option for a 454 so whoever said it had a 454 stock was wrong. If its auto its a TH350 if its manual its the SM465. NP203 full time transfer case. Dana 44 front axle and GM Corporate 12 Bolt out back.

4. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

Wellcome to the sickness that is owning a blazer.
    I came here with a similar thing in mind, excited and just wnating a little direction. It now controlls my life. Dont worry, you will enjoy it.

If you got anything with a running 454 in it, $500 is a great deal in my opinion. Even a running 350 at that price is great. And if it dosent have much rust and 4x4 works then i would say you got a deal.

Give it a good tune up timing carb adjustment etc and see how the 350 feels and get back to us all.

5. Woodrow

Thanks .. I will. No, it had the 350 in it when I got it a couple of weeks ago. The VIN is CKY183F160631. According to a book I have, the "Y" means a 454 4V LS-4 w/245 (!!!) HP. More importantly /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, It has a sticker in the engine compartment that indicates a 454. OK, I don't necessarily buy that one either. I would love to find out that it was really a 350. It has an automatic in it that seems OK, and I haven't tried the hubs or 4X4 yet. Are there any trouble areas that I should be looking for? What about the suspension? It seems to sit lower in the back, indicating something might be wrong, and the steering seems pretty loose. OK, maybe I'm just being stupid. It's a 30 year old truck!

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hubs? it has manual hubs? If so thats not stock, would be a conversion so its not full time 4wd, not as good as a part time kit but good step.

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

blazers tend to sag in the rear, that is normal, you can fix that by Buying a 0-rate add a leaf (fancy name for a 1 inch block) From offroaddesign.com, Something to look for is a crack in the frame by the steering box, easy fix, just buy a weld on frame repair kit, then it would be a good idea to buy the bolt on frame brace.... From the sounds of it, this truck sounds to be stock height with stock or close to it tires. so hopefully the frame is alright, but if not, its pretty cheap to get the parts i just mentioned.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Ha you have no idea what your getting into! I started with stock blazer then I fell in love with it, the fact that ya got a 75 is awsome, and there is a lot of possabilities. I paid $3500.00 for mine and had to make it run because it had been sitting for years.

do this to it..this is mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think your hearing what you want to hear cause he said 73 not 75 /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

congrats woodrow i also have a 73 and welcome to the club some people that i know would tell you its gold i like mine but want a newer one with a half cab anyway you come to the right site for info im still learning and i thought i was good with chevys but always learning i paid the same for mine but with no motor or trans hopfully have her runnin in next few weeks though . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems to sit lower in the back, indicating something might be wrong, and the steering seems pretty loose. OK, maybe I'm just being stupid. It's a 30 year old truck!

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like a good excuse to think about a lift kit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I know I bought my K5 with the intention of raising it up and sticking big tires on it. With a 30 y/o suspension, it's a fair bet that the springs are worn out. Decide how big of tires you'll want, then you can figure how much lift you'll need. There are lots of options for rear suspension, but if the springs are shot, I'd replace them.

12. Woodrow

OK .. you guys are getting me pretty worried! I started off the year with my car as my personal money pit. Then I bought a new house, and you know what that can do to what used to be discretionary spending. Now you guys are telling me that this will own me. My real concern is that I really like this truck, and that usually turns into marital problems.

I'm off to see if I can buy a carb this AM. DzrtRat67 says he got a rebuilt Rochester Quad from Autozone, and I am going to look into a Jet rebuilt. I'm taking it in to check the frame by the steering box, and I found an issue with the spring mounts on the back that needs to be re-welded. I can see where this is going .... and I'm sure you guys a laughing at how predictably I am swallowing the hook.

... and so it starts!

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If that is a true and unaltered VIN then you have one rare beast there. I've never seen a Blazer with a 454 from the factory, but that VIN does check out as a Blazer with a 454. That would not be a Blazer that I would want to cut up, that's for sure. Any chance you can get a pic of the vin plate and the sticker in the glove box so I can see the engine code? It's going to be interesting to see if the trans and case are regular half ton stuff or if they put more heavy duty parts in it. Too bad the original engine isn't in it. </font>

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks .. I will. No, it had the 350 in it when I got it a couple of weeks ago. The VIN is CKY183F160631. According to a book I have, the "Y" means a 454 4V LS-4 w/245 (!!!) HP. More importantly /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, It has a sticker in the engine compartment that indicates a 454. OK, I don't necessarily buy that one either. I would love to find out that it was really a 350. It has an automatic in it that seems OK, and I haven't tried the hubs or 4X4 yet. Are there any trouble areas that I should be looking for? What about the suspension? It seems to sit lower in the back, indicating something might be wrong, and the steering seems pretty loose. OK, maybe I'm just being stupid. It's a 30 year old truck!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Car and truck codes are not always the same. Blazers NEVER had 454 in them from the factory. NOTHING 4x4 except 1tons with D60's EVER got the 454 in the 73-91 K5's. You could not buy a 454 in a 4x4 burb till 92. The 1/2 and 3/4 front axles couldn't handle the torque and would snap axle shafts.
    Somebody will run that vin in a few minutes and get you straight.
    Welcome to CK5!
    Fill out you bio please. It helps us help you sometimes.

15. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> If that is a true and unaltered VIN then you have one rare beast there. I've never seen a Blazer with a 454 from the factory, but that VIN does check out as a Blazer with a 454. That would not be a Blazer that I would want to cut up, that's for sure. Any chance you can get a pic of the vin plate and the sticker in the glove box so I can see the engine code? It's going to be interesting to see if the trans and case are regular half ton stuff or if they put more heavy duty parts in it. Too bad the original engine isn't in it. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious that it did come up 454 K5?
    Yeah get a shot of that glove box sticker for sure. That's totatly unheard of. It's just not something that was ever offer that anybody is aware of. You could get a 400 with a Chalet I think Doug said but a 454?

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

That particular VIN code *was* a 454 in some years and models -- but it's also some variety of 350/4bbl, CA emissions instead of Federal or vice versa, something like that.

Some of the online VIN decoders only list the 454, but that same digit is listed in my Chilton's as a 350/4bbl for some years.

The 400 SB was available in regular Blazers ca 76-77, and came in most of the Chalets as they were so bulky, they needed the extra torque /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It came up as a 454 in a book that I have and on www.chuckschevytruckpages.com I am still trying to find something that says it isn't true and that the Y was for something else in 73, but no luck so far. </font>

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much torque does the 6.2 have? I know for a fact that they came in 3/4 tons. Wow, I can't believe that a 454 never came in a 3/4 ton pickup until 1992. GM thought that the 3/4 ton IFS was stronger than a D44 or 10 bolt?

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

6.2L has less torque than a 350. IT has it at lower RPMs and little broader at the Lower Rs, of course since its a diesel.

20. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    How much torque does the 6.2 have? I know for a fact that they came in 3/4 tons. Wow, I can't believe that a 454 never came in a 3/4 ton pickup until 1992. GM thought that the 3/4 ton IFS was stronger than a D44 or 10 bolt?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah that is weird but yes you could not get a 454 in 1/2 or 3/4 till 92 on 4x4 burbs. Now the KEY is FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. you can get it in a 2wd
    You could get it in a 2wd burb but not 4x4. I think the STOCK rating on the 6.2 was less torque then the 454. You could get the 6.2 in 1/2 ton. I think part of that may have been the Army deals they had for all the K30's and K5's. It also gets into the grey area where GM was trying to appease the CAFE standards so the made the 6.2 available in just about anything. Course you can tweek a 6.2's injector pump and quickly get it past 454 torque /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif