Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got my alternator & wiring pigtail**Resolved**

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Nov 23, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Just came in, with the powermaster proof sticker on the back, 94amp @ idle 142 @ highway speed, big improvement over the old 94 @ highway lol. Anyway, I got a wiring pigtail from painless, to plug into the new alt. One question though. It came w/ a resistor and no instructions. What is this resistor for, and where does it go? I remember when I was looking around for info on alternators I saw some stuff about using a resistor if you had an alternator light. All I have is a voltmeter, so do I need the resistor? http://www.painlessperformance.com/webcatalog/catlarge/30707.jpg that is the pigtail I got btw, since Im changing to a cs130 alt from the 10si.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, I figured out I need to use this if I dont have a charge light. Now, question is, is there a factory built in resistor, or does the check engine light count as a charge light, or does it even function as that. It says it has to be used if no light is present to prevent premature failure of the voltage regulator. Umm, help.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

painless replied, I do have to install the resistor.

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Yup, easy answer. Let us know how it works out!