Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Got My Hands On A Scout Any Crazy Ideas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by imaginepro, Jan 15, 2005.

1. imaginepro

imaginepro Registered Member

I Just got my hands on an international scout. And now it is time to start thinking of what the crazy things I can do to it. Suspention,Engine,trany/Xcase,Axels,tires/weels,any thing and every thing.I am stripping the boady from the frame so I can see everything and get any rust off it. Might box it, what you all think.

2. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

the frame on a scout is already boxed

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

scout 800 or a scout II? Whats it got in it now?

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i saw a scout in some magazine a while back,, thing was built up super crazy... not sure, do some four wheel steering, 454 engine, all the goodies u can think of if u wanna go crazy.. haha.

5. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

If I could find a Scout around here without a terminal case of cancer, I'd just leave it alone except for the necessary stuff, and use it as a beater. Especially if its an 80/800. Scout II, hmm a SOA and 33" BFG Muds, take the top off and enjoy. :D

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't know what tranny's Scouts use, but I always see lots of Scouts w/ big block Dodge engines...?:dunno:

7. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

scout II use the chyrsler tf727 auto tranny. not sure what manual. if after 74' it has d44's front and rear the 80' model scout has a dana 300 transfer case

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

IH engines have the best coolant flow design I've ever seen on a light duty engine. No exceptions. That is the only good thing I can say about them. No exceptions. Do not spend any money on one. The best you could hope for is the weight of a big block and the output of a 305.

The TF727 trans cases appear to be unique to the IH engines. If you were going to drop in something MOPAR I think you'd need a different trans case.

The manual trans b/h's in Scouts are really deep. That means that the input shaft in a manual Scout trans is also really long. At least as long as those found on J10/J20 manuals that used the spacer and possibly longer than those. You're not going to just bolt a GM engine in front of a Scout trans. The common 4 spd is the 4.0 first T-18, but there were some T-98's installed also.

If it has a D44 front it should also have front discs that use Ford calipers. Bleah!! Ford sliding calipers suck. Once grimy they stop sliding very well.
    The D30 fronts are listed as only being drum, but I have seen one with discs that did not appear to be a conversion of any sort.
    Scout D44 front stubs are different, 8 instead of 6 studs. They never came with spline-drive freehubs so you're stuck with suck arse bolt-on free hubs.

The knuckles on Scout front axles have a longer steering arm than anything else. So the pitman arm is also longer than anything else. They do use a Saginaw box & pump when equipped with PS, but the draglink is in front of the pitman shaft, not behind it.

The D300 in in the 80 SCout's is the only 'Texas' pattern D300 made. All others are the common round 6 bolt pattern. So it's a bolt-in to a Heeper with a D18 or D20, but near useless to a K5er.

There's a fair amount of info on Jim Weed's Scout page on ORC page if it's still up. Scout owners as a rule tend to be clueless, or that's the impression I get from them.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

You can swap the output shafts tween the binder 727 and a Mopar 727, then bolt a 440 up in it-go smoke some Broncos. I have owned 2 Scout II's, a 75 and a 79. Everyone I have ever looked at had a posi in the rearend, so that's a plus. The auto V8 models came with 3.54 gears standard, all the 4 speeds I have seen came with 4.10 gears.Stock Binder ignitions are not very good, and difficult to find parts for, but they did use GM charging systems.

10. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Stock IH motors are fine, as long as you don't have to do any work on them. Hard to find parts, lots of variation.

If something goes wrong on it, throw a 440 in it, heheeh.

BTW, I know a guy that has 3 of them out of motorhomes he is trying to get rid of. And he needs money.... :cool1:

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Those are Powr-Loks. They implode w/o good reason. One of those was the first of many, many parts MISF (My Infamous Scout Friend) broke on his Scout II.

Worked that one out for MISF, write-up is here: http://www.dock.net/ntsqd/tech/IH-DURASPARK.DOC

12. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Powr Loks always worked good for me... :D

13. imaginepro

imaginepro Registered Member

really how much and dose it come with everything? and run good?

14. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I have a '74 Scout II, 304, 4spd, Dana 44 and Dana 30 I think. I've had it since I was 13. It's sat for several years now.

Always a combination of parts on Internationals. I have 3 Int'l 4x4 trucks too. GM alternators... Chrysler tranny's (for the automatic ones), Motorcraft carbs (or sometimes Holley). Kind of a sprinkle of parts here and there from other makes. But I like them. Someday, I'll make my Scout a decent rig again.

15. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

Do an axle over suspension and that will get you a good start.

16. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

Scouts already have an axle over suspension...its called a spring-under design. a spring-over conversion is the ticket.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

remove the body, mount it on a 1 ton shortbed chevy truck. swap in lower gears and monster tires. done.

j