Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just got some roof running lights... but........?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Apr 7, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i went to my friend neals house and he had them laying there new in the box and he told me i could have em, so i was like YEA. who has installed these? id like some inside informantion, like on spaceing and how far off the windshild, they are the chevy style ones from JC whitney, and i plan to just run them to a wire that turns on when i switch on my factory running lights. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 87sm465np208

so no one has done this before?

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

there was a post on this befor i think..i know you just wire it to the light switch i think its pretty easy...im going to put some on mine soon to..but ull have to ask someone thats done it..im not sure..

4. 87sm465np208

yep, i think im gunna measure the width of the roof, find the center, then measure about 3" off the windshild, then put one light on the center, then measure out the other ones, and DRIL DRILL DRILL into the roof, and then wire em /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, and no i wont forget the sillycone.

5. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I got a light bar because it will absorb tree braches protecting the roof. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

6. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

<font color="green">Basically you need to find out how many amps per light then run them through relays, 30 or 40 amps a relay...

Something to this effect...this is how I run my headlight (for brightness) and also run my running lights...

[​IMG]

Hope that helps alittle.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you do a search on ebay you may find a light bar instead of mounting them straight to the truck...Mine mount to the rain gutters...

T </font> .

7. 87sm465np208

Thank you triger, but i was talking about the small little amber ones like the big rigs have, but ill keep this in mind for the future if i want to add more 100 watt lights. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifLIFTED /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

I'm wanting to get some of those too

I've seen them installed 2 ways...all lights evenly spaced out across the roof, or 2 on each side with 3 grouped closer in the middle. Just whatever you prefer I guess.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think the grouped ones look good!

10. 87sm465np208

yea, ya'll is right, the grouped ones do look better, 3 cluster, 2 out side ones. it is also GM style, not ferd style, my dad and i had a talk last night about it, and we are gunna put em on this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and pictures will be in order, I CANT WAIT TO DRILL INTO MY ROOOF /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

can you give me lots of info on how you wire them and all that crap...cause id like to know for when i put some on mine!!

12. 87sm465np208

well sure, ill take some pictures as i drill the holes, im probly not gunnna make it pretty (hide the wires). but if i can i will. but will do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

thanx man!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 87sm465np208

well i can give you the first half of how we put them on the roof. we went gm style, 3 middle and one on the far left and one on the far right, measured them out as best as i could, about 2 in. from the windshiled, and lined the middle one up with the crease in the hood\rear view mirror, then marked our holes, drilled them, then screwed them down, all 5 times, as we got to the very middle one, we measure the ones on the other side to make sure that we had them pretty even, then drilled them, screwd them down. that is it, now tomarow i gotta take them off and drill more holes for wires, then connnect them, and wait for night fall to see how they look. i will give you some more info tomarow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool! how are you going to wire them? thats the only thing im a little unsure about when i put mine on..

16. 87sm465np208

alright, wellll i wired em up today, i drilled a hole though the roof (both layers) and then put the wire though (takes a few times to get the wire to go though the 2nd layer of roof) then sillyconed all the holes with blue RTV, then screwed the back one into the ground loop on the wire, then screwed it all down, did that for all 5. then when it came to wire'n time, i cut the wire close to the roof so alittle bit of wire was sticking out of the roof, then used those blue box connections on all wires keeping it tight to the roof, then ran it all the way across the roof like that, then when i got to the last one, i ran the wire down the weatherstripping and down to the fuse box where i just put it to a source that get turned on with the factory switch. if you have a head liner it will probly make it look cleaner because you can hide the wires better. but that is how i did it, pretty easy acctually, i lined and drilled them with my dad yesterday night, and today when i got home from school i drilled the holes for the wires, sealed it up, and powerd em up. any more questions, you know how to reach me (PM) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

17. badgravity

badgravity Registered Member

Some installing pics ???

18. 87sm465np208

dang i wish i would of, i got them in the Final stage, of done, but no installation pics, i should go out an take a picture on how i ran the wires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.