Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just got the flows... shock question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hailey, Mar 6, 2003.

1. hailey

hailey Registered Member

just got flowmasters put on the 72. sounds much better...

the ride was terrible in the blazer (even for a 30 year old truck). my dad said that he broke a shock mount several years ago (before he put it in storage) and never had it fixed. i took it to the muffler shop this morning. it turns out that the frame was broken at the upper shock mount. they welded it up, and its fixed for now. i'll have to rig up something more perminate later (any suggestions?).

what i didn't know was that it had a quad shock set up in the rear. is this a factory set up? he replaced all four shocks (stock size), and the ride is 100 times better than it was.

my question is...

i am going to put a 2 inch t.c. lift on (springs all the way around) next month to run 33x12.50s. will these new stock shocks work with it? i didn't think about asking the guy at the shop, but i had to have it done anyway.
    also, i assume the stock wheels will work with the 33s, but i eventually want to go to a 15x10. will this work? thanks for the help.

hailey

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

As for the quads in the rear, I have never seen that setup. which means to me it may not all be perfectly stock. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but for my 72, when I got it, it had a 2" lift and stock length shocks on, so I know they will technically work. I went with the shocks for a 2.5 - 4 lift and got more droop as the shocks were limiting before(then put on my new TC lift and needed the extra length). I havent topped them out on compression as far as I can tell either. The 33's will fit on both the stock 8" wide as well as the 10" wide wheels. the recommended size for the 33's is the 10.

If I were you, when you put on the 2" TC lift (I LOVE my tc lift btw) I would buy a set of 1" blocks or 1" zero rates and lift the rear 3" total. it cures the saggy butt and makes the blazer sit nice and level. just my .02

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Can't answer the multiple shock question, but can comment on the TC 2" lift. I installed the HD springs and w/ ORD shackles I was closed to 3" and the shocks recommended for the 2" springs were two short, only had about 1.5" of droop. I got the 3-4" lift shocks. My K25 had a rear factory 1" block so I just replaced it with a 2" block and added a leaf, also installed ORD's u-bolt flip kit. I have some pics in my signature link. No problems clearing 33" TSLs on 15"x10" rims.