Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just got truck tested.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by CrazeeBush, May 4, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I had my truck db'd this afternoon, and I'm fairly pleased. I have 2 JL 12W0's and a 300 Watt Infinity Kappa Amp. It tested at 123.7 db. Not too bad I think.

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've heard kind of bad things about the Infinity amps, but 124 is pretty good for just a couple 12's in a big old Blazer.
    I hit just a little over 139 dB in the Blazer I had in high school. I had 2 Rockford 18's in a 15 cubic foot box and a $600 Rockford amp. It was ear damaging fun!!!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. CrazeeBush

Really? What have you heard? I have no complaints out of mine and I've had it for like 4 months. It will pour out the juice. Yah, the guy told me that I had a lot of space to try and hit high db's. I'm satisfied with how it sounds, I'm in no way funded enough to design a huge system for the purpose of competition. Kinda pointless to me.

4. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have about the same system i want to put in my '71 K5, I am gonna get a Bandpass box with two JL W3's,i dont know what kind of amp to get yet,dont want too spen a whole lot.

5. Bondo

Bondo 1/2 ton status

Sounds pretty good. I'm hitting 143 with my truck, but I'm also packing a ton of power. It sounds like you have a good setup.

BONDO WILL FIX ANYTHING!!!

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Infinity amps

OK, CrazeeBush, heres the deal. Crutchfield had some $420 Infinity Kappa amps marked down to $170 on closeout. I was going to buy one for my truck, but I talked to one of my friends about it. He has worked at about 4 different car stereo shops in the last 10 years and knows alot. All he said was Infinity makes great speakers, but their amps suck. So I didn't buy one. It sounds like you got lucky.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Re: Infinity amps

149 Solid. 4 HART pro 12's and Orion Power make it happen. 123 with two 12's is impressive. With some tuning of the box you probably could get even more out of it. Typically 130 is a starting point in systems

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

8. CrazeeBush

I know I can get some more out of it, but I'm in no hurry. I was just curious what I was hitting with that set up. It sounds good except for all the rattles. I wish some people would post tips/pics about dampning these huge pieces of rattling sheet metal.. =) Right now it's the tail gate and the doors that have it the worst. I've managed to cut it down considerably with about 4 cans of rubber undercoating.

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Dynamat</font color=blue> works well with the rattle. It doesn't take a lot to cut it down. Some people think you need to line the complete sheet metal, but you don't unless you want too. Dynamat is used to deaden the metal and stop it from vibrating.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

10. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Sounds good, but you can get much more out of the JL's. I got my car tested not too long ago, hit a 131.9 at the dash with under 200W going to my basic Pioneer 12's. However, I'm now pushing over 225W to each sub, it's louder, don't have a number yet though. But that's a good start. I happen to be looking for a K5 right now, preferably an 89. Found a couple locally, one for $4000, one for $4500, going to check them out. I'd like to have one, have more room for my system and other junk.

11. 1990Blazer

1990Blazer Registered Member

King how the hell did you find 2 89 K5s for that price. Maybe its cause you live somewhere else than cali. But here they expensive I guess. I cant seem to find one for under $7000. And then it has a ton of miles on it. Whats a good average mileage before the motor dies anyway. I found a really nice 89 GMC Jimmy with an 8" Lift but it has a 150k on it. And the moron wants $9800. LOL.

12. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

Basically, SUV's are cheap as crap around here. There are K5's EVERYWHERE. I never noticed it until I got really interested in them. Since then I've seen them everywhere I go, most are very nice, some banged up but still cool, and all of them lifted and bigger tires(the ONLY way to go IMO). Unfortunately, my plans have possibly changed. I've decided not to buy anything until at least December, but doesn't look like I'll be buying a K5 after all, I need something with better mileage, I do a LOT of driving during the week(to college and back, to work and back). It's about 40-45 miles per day I drive, five times a week, I don't think I could take putting in $40+ in gas for the sucker. I'll have to wait until I get the money before I decide, but doesn't look too good :(.............

P.S. I had found a K5 finally but decided against it. It was a 79 Blazer with replacement of everything(engine, gas tank, etc.) in the last year, plus a 9" lift and 44" tires, all for $1800. The problem was he modified the body. Said he put on a 1500 Truck cab and built a bed out of wood. He told me he was looking for an original body to put back on so he could sell it though, so if it pops back up for sale maybe I could still look into it........