Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just had a brown truck visit my house...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thefarside, Aug 21, 2003.

1. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

I just recieved my body parts I orderd from Tabco. I orderd the O.E. replacment rockers, inner rockers as well as inner cab corners.

I have mostly done welding of thicker pieces never thin sheet metal before. Plus when I had to weld it never really had to look good too. I did pick up some anit-heat compound from Eastwood. Also, a welder that works at Pratt suggested heating up the metal a bit first with a propane torch to limit warping and practicing a lot before trying to weld the rocker on. Plus I was planning on making small tack welds all around and then fill in the spaces in 1- 1 1/2 inch beads rotating around the rocker panel with the standard drag style technique using .023 wire and 70/25% Argon Co2 mix at about 20CFH or more because I will be welding outside.

So does anyone have any suggestions, tips or ricks for welding in the new panels?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

My best advice would be to find some sheet metal the same gauge as your body panels and practice for a bit. Welding thin stuff is a totally different ball game. You're on the right track with the .023 wire and 75/25 mix.

I've been welding for a living for years, and never have heard the "heat it with a torch before welding to prevant warpage" thing.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Whenever someone asks for specific tips on welding, I really try not to go into detail. I try to give some basic tips, then it's up to you to learn from there. There are many different ways to achieve the right result, but also alot of ways to achieve the wrong result. As long as you achieve the right end result, how ya got there is unimportant as far as I'm concerned. Do what works best for you.

Practice Practice Practice Practice

Seriously. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I've been welding for a living for years, and never have heard the "heat it with a torch before welding to prevant warpage" thing.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he said that when metal warps it is because of the temperature differences in the metal from the area you are welding with the surrounding area. When you slowly heat the metal it limits the amount of temperature difference and limits warping. Feel free to try it, I will. Maybe it works. He said the key is to evenly and slowly heat up the piece like it was in direct sunlight.