Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just had a great idea [Sub enclosure/bench]

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Mar 12, 2007.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I like my bench for obvious reasons, but I have no room for stereo equipment. Music is my biggest passion.

So here's the deal.

I have 2 Van captains chairs which are awesome. Then for the "bench" effect, I can make a sub enclosure that goes between the seats and sits at the same level, with padding on it. I can have subs and still have the whole bench seat effect!

Opinions?

2. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

what are you trying to stuff in said box?10,s 12,s 15,s:eek1:

3. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

2 10's, maybe just a single 12. not sure as of now. How come?

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I think what he's getting at is that there really won't be that many 'cubes' in an enclosure that would fit between the seats. It's been done before, but typically with maybe an 8" or 10" sub. The ones that hold a larger sub become too massive and ugly.

Not a bad idea....just not as much room to work with as you might initially think.

:usaflag:

5. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I think there should be enough room for a 12 at least. I'll have to check it out.

6. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

but with out the c.i.(cubic inches) that it needs it wouldn't hit right.
    Its not about putting a big woofer in and calling it a day, they need proper air space to work. each speakers has its own c.i. requirement

I had a little standered cab Toyota that I stuffed two 12's behind the seat and it wouldn't hit hard. Just not enough room. My buddy build a box for one 10 and it would hit harder then mine.

7. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Biggest benefit of this is that you won't have a problem finding some wimmens to ride in the middle next to you. :waytogo:

8. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can easily build a box for a properly powered single 12 between two captains chairs...or get a box for behind the seat...
    I run two 12's behind the seat in my standard cab...its a custom box but none the less you or a local audio shop could build it to fit perfectly in the space you have and still meet the minimum volume requirements for w/e subs you choose to go with.
    I really enjoy my two 12's but have lately been kicking around the idea of going to Astro Van captain's chairs and building an enclosure for in the middle...reason being is when they are behind the seat they sound good but you are really only getting the vibrations...literally it'll get almost twice as loud when I fold the seat forward...
    That being said a well built box with a single 10 or 12 w/o being blocked behind the seat will sound as good if not better than anything thats being stuffed behind the seat...Just my $0.02 though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

Bass is meant to be felt not heard

10. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

If you went from 12's to 10's it would hit a lot harder and because you would go to 10's you could get better woofers (10's are cheaper)
    putting 12's in a small area just does not work all that great.
    I was the same way why go 10's when you can buy 12's, but I bet if you look at what those speakers need for air volume those boxes are too small.

11. Avery4jc

No actually they are just right...and btw nobody ever said anything about $$$ so sure you can spend more and get different quality subs but that wasn't the point anywhere in the post.
    audio is such a personal opinion thing it's hard to debate it. In my opinion of course subs are meant to be felt but have you ever had subs behind the seat then swung the seat forward? If so you know what I'm talking about.

12. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

*edit*
    Why waste the time:rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  13. Avery4jc

right...forgot about reading that post earlier...what subs and how big were the boxes?