Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just how bad is a Fras-Trac top?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by homemadesin, Jan 15, 2003.

1. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

72' CST with busted rear hatch. I really want to go with soft-top, but since the testosterone seems to be missing at Can-bak and BesTop, it seems like Fast Trac is the only thing (shy of custom). I've never had a soft-top before, even when I had a Jeep (hardtop). I've seen a few FasTrac bruising posts, so should I buy one, buy custom or be a real man and go topless 24/7 (it supposed to snow tonight).

2. hipurr72

hipurr72 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a Fast Trac top on my 72. It's a very well made top, except for one thing, the fit is VERY poor around the doors. I'm hoping to get it to fit well someday. If some one out there has figured out a way to fix this problem, I'd like to know.

3. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

i also have a fastrac and i havent had any major problems with it. the design around the doors is kinda lame, but i havent noticed alot of water inside.

its not a bad top, but i think everyone just expects perfection on a top. i have rode in a friends jeep and on his bestop it is starting to fall apart after a year.

i would say if you want to go soft, this is problably the better of them. thats just my opinion though.

later, todd

4. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I assume the Kayline is still being made? I have been running it for almost 4 years now and it is ok. If I had taken more time on my install it would have fit a little better around the window but I am pretty happy as is.

The only thing I wish was that the sides would zip out like the fast trac, and of course I hated drilling those holes. But, two minutes and the top is down and I am in the breeze, five minutes and its back up if the rainman shows.

Hard top is looking mighty lonely out behind my shed.

Sam Hinton

5. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

I'm rockin the STC Snap-Top and have been very please with it. 3 snaps have broken off the top but this was my fault for making the top to tight and flexing my truck with no rocker boxes. This put to much stress on them and they broke. During the summer I'll take it to a local boat shop to have it repaired because its 14 degrees right now.

Evan

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've got top on mine and it seems to be OK. The stitches are not doubled and I can see where they will be pulling apart soon. I will most likely resew them myself this next summer.

7. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

Mine is horrible. I actually will never use it again. First of all the top area up at the front window alway had trouble staying attached. I had to duct tape it so it wouldn't get air under the top. Also both front windows had a funky attachment that does not for me, work at all. We also called the company that made it, and they helped with some of the vague instructions they include also.

Overall, I feel it's an extremly poorly designed top. They should have used deeper hard plastic as they do in the back for all of their attachments.

Just my 2 cents.

Hope that helps.

Chris M

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I have a Fastrac on my 72 and have no water leakages to date. Living in the PNW we see a fair amount of water and the top has handled it all well. I do think the design around the doors leaves a little to be desired, but like I said, I have had no problems with it. Its actually relatively quiet also... its VERY quiet compared to the top that was on my wifes 98 heep.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. gen1blazer

gen1blazer Registered Member

I just bought a Bestop from a guy who had it on his 72' for less than a month. He says the reason he sold it to me was because the hard top was too difficult for him to get on and off. I got a good deal for 200. and it is in brand new condition, but I am afraid to put it on. Reason being I'm sure that the holes needed on the windshield are different patterns from the different manufacturers, so if I don't like the Bestop and I buy a new one I don't want a swiss cheese winshield frame. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Is the bestop a good top, and should I just go ahead and install it? Thanks

10. Tims72

Tims72 Registered Member

I also have a 72 with the Fast Trac top. I have had it for over a year now. I replied to a Fast Trac bashing post 2 months after I bought it because the stitches came loose from the zipper on the side windows . I sent it back and they re-stitched it for free and paid for the shipping. I haven't had a problem since. It turns out that the reason the stitches broke the first time is because I tried to use the zipper to close the top instead of " zipping then clipping". The front window design is a little off, but overall it is a great top. Driving with the side windows out is great for days when it is not quite warm enough to go completely topless. Not to mention it's a great looking top.

Tim