Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just how close of kin are these transfers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin_blazer, Nov 21, 2005.

1. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i have an 80 model k-5 with a th-350 and a np 205 stuck on the back of it.....i want to put in a th400 and i have a 2wd short tailshaft 400 and i also have a 52 dodge power wagon with a divoriced np 200 in it ...it has the passenger side front drop and all......i've even learned they both have a 1.96:1 ratio..its hard to find the 400 adapter around here and wonder would the 2wd 400 with the divorced np-200 be as stought....my goal is eventually a sm465/205 but they are about as hard to find as the 400 adapters.would my single stick np 205 shifter fit on the dual stick np200? they look awefully close when viewed from the front with the 2 slider pins and all... just that the np200 has a shifter attached to each pin instead of the bar that runs between them like the shifter on the 205 has that the shifter connects too...or do you think i would like the twin sticks better if i went that route? i know i would have to do something about drive shafts as the 80 model 205 has the drive shaft that sticks up into a tailshaft section bolted on the transfer...last year for 205's in 1/2 tons i've been tol...i was going to use the drive shaft out of the m-37 and have it shortened and buy what ever yoke i need for the rear dana 60 to make it fit (it has 1 1/4" caps and the tube is about 4 1/2-5" diameter...is it to much work ...should i wait until i find the sm465 and 205 with fixed yoke and do it once and be done with it? would that be better since auto's suck in the mud anyway?!! my friends laughed because i carry a fire extinguisher...they haven't said a word since i have put out about 3 of their rigs bucause it blows the front pump out...i haven't done it yet but i feel her starting to slip on me!!

2. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The NP200 is just as strong as a NP205. They are basically the same. You can run a driveshaft off of either rear output, so the 200 is ok for centered and offset diffs. I think there is only one yoke that bolts onto the 200, so you are limited to a certain type of u-joint (Napa #305 - may be an old pn now, expensive, about 1350 equivalent strengthwise - try Mseriesrebuild.com for new US made ujts at a decent price).

I'm not sure about converting the 200 into a single stick setup like the 205.

I'd look around for a 400/205 combo before I jumped into the divorced 200 conversion. I don't think it will be that much cheaper cost wise after all is said and done. Check out the for sale section, ebay, and pirate4x4 for adapters. They are out there and reasonably priced.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The only thing I'd be worried about is drivetrain length in a K5.

4. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

the np200 u-joint

it has 1 1/4" caps they look huge as does the driveshaft that is behind it its close to 5" diameter and i was thinking maybe shorten it put the same end on and find a yoke from dana spicer that would allow the d60 to except that u joint...or maybe a new end piece to fit the driveshaft tube that would fit the d 60 u joint...may just let it ride until th350 goes out and try and find a sm465/np205 with a fixed yoke to replace it all and get rid of my th350/205 with the tail shaft , for some reason i don't like it, i want the slip joint in my driveshaft.