Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just how do you beef up a 10 bolt anyway. When you can't yet afford an axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83DK5, Mar 15, 2000.

1. 83DK5

83DK5 Registered Member

Just how do you beef up a 10 bolt anyway. When you can\'t yet afford an axle swap

83 k5 Deisel 6.2 Ok The biggest I would want to run would be 35's that's in the future right now I 33's will do. I do 4 wheeling in dirt, loose rock, axle deep mud etc. am running 3.42 ratio.
    I need some ideas on beefing up the 10 bolts or where to find some articles or websites on the subject

thanks

Blazers Rule especially Diesels

2. Boggin' Blazer

Boggin' Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Just how do you beef up a 10 bolt anyway. When you can\'t yet afford an axle swap

For starterson the front end check outhttp://www.offroaddesigns.com They have cromoly replacement axles said the be as strong as a D60 front axle. You can find Moser Engineering, they build extra tuff rear axles.
    The biggest down fall of the 10 bolt rear is the factory gear carrier. You can ask my on this board about the poor stregnth. I would look for an aftermarket posi or locker for it. After that you will have an extremely capeable ride!!

David

Drive It Like You Stole It !!!![​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Just how do you beef up a 10 bolt anyway. When you can\'t yet afford an axle swap

Check out 4x4review.com. They have been a series of 10-bolt beefing articles. Also, the "Project Stinky" Blazer in Fourwheeler magazine did a couple of articles on a 10-bolt buildup within the last couple of years.
    I have a '90 K5 with the 6.2 diesel and have been fourwheeling it pretty seriously, at least once per month,for over a year now (very few street miles besides going to the trail). The factory Gov-Lok posi broke and took out the ring gear and axle shafts, but this happened when it was stolen and thrashed (the police found it stripped down and covered in mud), and before I began seriously four wheeling it (32x11.50 tires at the time). I used that opportunity to install a Detroit Tru-Trac, aftermarket 4.10 gears, and heavy duty axleshafts to the rear, along with 33x12.50's. I have had no failures so far (knock on wood) and I switched to 35's a couple of months ago. The front 10-bolt also has a full case posi and the 30 spline shafts.
    From what I have found, here is a little summary I go by for the weakness' of the 10-bolts:
    Earlier 10-bolts (pre '87-'88 or so), front and rear, used 28 spline axle shafts which seemed to be the weak link, though the factory option Gov-Lok wasn't far behind. GM switched to larger diameter (1.31" vs. 1.28") 30 spline shafts in the rear 10-bolts (probably due to the increase in power of the TBI 350 introed in '87), which offer around a 20% increase in strength assuming the same material is used. However they used the same carrier design, only enlarging the openings to accomodate the larger shaft, thus reducing the strength of the already marginal carrier and making it the weak link. The above also holds true for the front 10-bolts which were changed to 30 spline for the '89 or '90 through '91 in the K5's and Subs (before they also went IFS).
    So, a full case locker or posi such as a Tru-Trac, Detroit Locker, Auburn, etc..(NOT a Lock-Rite) really beefs up the carrier, while you are at it, make sure to get a 30-spline carrier and buy new 30 spline shafts (if you don't already have them) and have fun. Just remember, you can really beef up a 10-bolt, but it's still not going to be bulletproof if you really thrash the truck.