Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just how many bolts do you use to secure your winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

That winch question got me a little concerned- just how many bolts would it take for you to feel secure? My winch only came with 4 mounting holes... 4!!! and 4 grade 5 bolts!.

Is this enough? I keep imagining that if I acutally needed all of the winches power (10,500 x2 with a snatch block)... would 4 meesely bolts hold?

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, thats what my Hs9500i had. Never had a problem. I looked at it as, if Warn felt that was good then it was good with me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Also, I had mine mounted on a plate thinner than 1/4" like recommended. Just never got around to put the 1/4" plate on. Now JK5 has my winch.. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I miss that thing!

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I yank my 8500 pound truck alot with my 9500i with just the 4 grade 5 bolts without problem.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

that is what my m15000 is installed with but like you i am going to install some more bolts in the front the 4x4iron bumper will work well i just need to add a 3/8 spacer i think that will do it

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can bet that Warn, Ramsey, etc. have done their homework on this. The dollars they would lose in just a single lawsuit would be far more than the extra cost of including more, or higher grade, bolts with their winches. I've seen cables break, but I've never seen or heard of a winch breaking free from a rig. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I took good measures and swapped to grade 8 bolts regardless however. Hopefully i will never find out the strength of the metal of any component! Cause then I'd be really really REALLY stuck.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

WOnt a grade 8 sheer before it bends since it is a harder bolt? That may be why Warn went with a grade 5 over an 8... So the bolt would bend beofre it would snap....

8. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i 2nd the grade 5 think and the winch is made from allumin so that is why i am going wiith the front and bottem mount

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Grade 8 bolts are not always the best for certain applications. 8's are designed for higher tensile loads, while the 5's are typically better in shear applications (like how most winches are mounted).