Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just HOW tough is an Optima battery?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Quaddawg, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Well, after my fire last night, and the side posts melting right off the battery...

THE OPTIMA IS STILL FULLY CHARGED.... (note, my meter reads high, always has)

It was directly shorted for 20 minutes, till the posts melted off in the fire...
    this morning, it is holding charge just fine....

WOW

[​IMG]

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lol damn.

Optimas are the shizzle.

If you got the money i would buy another battery. If not it could be leaking somewhere from the melted plastic.

See if it holds a charge for a couple days..... if it does it should be fine.

3. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

LOL, no, it's now missing it's side posts..... can't use it.. (don't want to)

You know? it still has the top posts, I think I am going to try it in my van... lol

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

after the fire i dont think that hes much worried about the battery being reused.haha.my optima is 5 years old and still going strong.cant say that ive charbroiled it to that perfection though.

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

when my truck burned I had a hole 3 or 4 inches wide in the top and a few inches deep, still will crank a car and it has been a couple months:D

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Thats it, I'm buying an Optima!!!!1

P.S. You should send that pic to the boys at Optima for a free battery :D:D

7. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

:grin: Way ahead of you, already have.... I think I will film myself, putting this in my van, and starting it... that ought to get me a free battery...

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

If your add hits it big you can get a lot more than a couple batterys.

damn good thing she didn't blow under the heat... i lost a houseboat that way.

some jackass left his battery charger on all night and it exploded, lit his boat up, hit his gas tanks, they exploded, jumped to our boat and on down the line until 18 boats were toast.

9. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

Damn, I wish I would have gotten some pictures of the fire, or at least the fire truck...

this would make such a killer Optima ad... much better than the destruction derby one...

You are right though. I did word the email to the effect that I would give them my story, and photos for monetary compensation...

but I would settle for my 15 minutes of fame, and a free yellow top.... lol.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

hell yeah take what you can get... lol:woot: :pimp: :saweet:

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Got a winch? Use it as yer dual battery :D

12. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

I would, but since the fire, I don't even have a truck..... much less a winch... haha....

I think I will actually put it in my van, it has top post terminals, then when/if Optima calls, the story will be even better.... LOL....

13. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

haha thats just too cool. I have a red top and love it. Batterys are way worth the price :grin:

14. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

so why exactly did your truck burn? and whatever the case is i liked it before...
    good luck with the re-build
    luke

15. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Red tops are $109 here I might go buy one

16. Quaddawg

Quaddawg 1/2 ton status

If you have a winch or a good stereo, get a yellow top.. you won't be sorry.

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think optimas are absolute trash and I've voiced this experience many times here and at Pirate.

I'm glad you guys have had good experiences with Optimas, but I've sold DOZENs of them and nearly all of them have come back. They're a poor design in my opinion.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why do you think that tim? I've had a Red Top in my k5 for a while and now it is in my Suburban and doing great I may add. Had my interior light on all night the other day and got in in the morning, low voltage but fired her right up. Thats the lowest powered Red top, not the big boys. I got it cause my battery hold down was messed up and kept falling out, so instead of fixing it I got a red top. Worked great. Definetally put a Yellow Top or two in my S10.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When discharged, they never take a recharge. With no free acid inside, they sulfate quickly and they're junk.

I suppose they're fine if you never discharge them, EVER, but I have a winch, and I'm not taking that risk.

My two plate and acid type batteries offer more current capacity than two Optimas, and won't fail on me when I need them most.

Being able to physically hold one battery upside down on top of the other one to jump start a vehicle is pretty cool, but not worth the massive expense and liability of having a product that fails as often as the Optima (or any other AGM battery) does.

20. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I have plenty of stereo wattage in my truck and I finally bought just a redtop and it wasn't too expensive. So far its been the best investment for my truck. I hadn't had to have a jump yet and I've run my stereo or left my lights on for a period of time and it starts right back up and recharges to problem :grin: