Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just installed my new hubs and they won't disengage.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

Just installed my new hubs and they won\'t disengage.

Anybody had a prob. with installing warn prem. hubs and then not getting them to unlock. I've retraced my steps but I'm a little lost. I could not figure out how to take the bearings out either. This may seem simplistic, but I still am lost.

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Re: Just installed my new hubs and they won\'t disengage.

how does the "turner" feel? Did you clean all the gunk out before installing them? Did you put grease (wheel bearing greas) on them? Was the spring put in properly? give a little more info. Do you have it jacked up and trying them out or driving down the road, may just have to spin some more. lol

3. Saxwonder84

I cleaned most grease out and added some more on the new components. It looks like I did most everything and the turn feels fine with solid clicks for lock and free. Only when I rotate the jacked up wheel it turns the driveshaft where if it was unlocked it would not.

4. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

might try cleaning some of the grease off, especially if you are in cold country this winter. The grease wont let them engage or disengage, just dip them in diesel fuel. Did you turn the wheel forward and backwards? Try wedging something in the axle u joint and turn the wheel lightly to see if it will disengage, sounds like the spring is disengaged but the inner hub is sticking the the axle, could be grease or other impurities letting it stick. Did you install it with the hub turned out or in, the spring may not be in the correct position. If so be sure to install it with the hub disengaged, try sliding the inner hub on the outer axle shaft if you take it back apart to make sure it don't stick, then you will have it narrowed down to the spring. Be here for a while if ya need any more help. good luck

5. Saxwonder84

Hey Monster Jim where do you live? I go to school at UNT. I see you are from north texas

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

grease is not recomended in lockouts, i think it says in the the instructions even (if anybody even reads those things)

anyway, a warn "premium" as you turn the cap, pushes the floating splined collar into place (sorry for the lack of technical names) to unlock they let a spring push it back to the disengaged state. if you have a ton of sticky grease, the collar is never going to make its way to the disingaged state.

clear as mud?

or if you know whats good, go find a set of spicer lockouts, they are the total opposite as your warn "premiums" which makes them fail safe. you can run them without the plastic caps even. somebody at spicer was thinking.

i have had good luck running lithum engine preassembly lube in my lockouts. i have seen guys use motor oil, and im sure diesel would work also. there are no pieces that need lubrication in the lockout, it is more important to keep moisture out to prevent corrosion.