Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just installed my new

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by chvyhs, Feb 26, 2003.

1. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Driveshaft/SLE. I wish I had a digi cam so I could show you it. I no longer have that humming vibration around 55-65 mph.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Awesome - where'd you buy all the parts? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of $$ we talking total?
    So, worthwhile mod in your mind (even if the vibrations aren't an issue)?
    What are the advantages? Basically so that if you twist off the rear shaft or blow up a u-joint without a spare you can drive home in front wheel drive without losing fluid? Thanks - gotta keep learning this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I found them in the back of a Petersons Mag. It's http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/. I think I paid about $500 for an entirely new shaft. I had to drill for a 5/16 bolt 1" deep into the output shaft. Then you slide the new yoke on and bolt it in. This gives you full spline engagement on your output shaft. With my stock shaft I only had about 1.5" after the lift. Now my d-shaft has the slip shaft and a double cardan joint at the top. It's all 1 ton too!/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Like you said, if I blow the rear shaft I can still drive home on the front without loosing all my fluid. Plus I still have my stock shaft as a spare. I'm supposed to go wheelin this weekend, I'll let you know how it did.