Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Installed Relay's For Headlights

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jc71355, Mar 23, 2003.

1. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Just Installed Relay\'s For Headlights

WOW what a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Everyone should do this. I had very little electrical experience before this and I made it through with no problems, not hard at all.

Special thanks to Rugger03 for answering all my questions and DP_90K5 for drawing the wiring diagram. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Re: Just Installed Relay\'s For Headlights

Glad to hear that it worked out. Night and day difference, isn't there. no pun intended. Wiring wasn't as hard as you thought, and you probally feel you can tackle any electrical problem. Once you get and use a multimeter, it will be one of your most used tools.
    cheers, rugger

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

For others here is a schematic for this.
    [​IMG]

4. Krase

Krase Registered Member

Can i ask the stupid question? Why do this why is the difference gained, sorry never heard of this? sorry just curious so had to ask

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Can i ask the stupid question? Why do this why is the difference gained, sorry never heard of this? sorry just curious so had to ask

[/ QUOTE ]
    To get rid of voltage drop and about 30 connections between the head lights and the battery. There is proabably 25 feet of wire between the battery and the lights. This way you get full battery voltage of about 14v when driving. Take a VOM and measure the voltage at the battery and then measure the voltage at the lights....you will proabably see 1.5 volts less.

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

As you trucks wiring gets old it will "soak up" voltage as it travels along the length of the wire.
    In the case of your head lights it has to go from the alt. to the horn relay,from there to your headlight switch,from the headlight switch it travels a long distance to your head lights.

The horn relay and headlight switch are 2 extra connection that age as well.
    All this old wiring and connections can lead to a thing called voltage drop.
    You may have 14.2 volts at the terminal on the alt. but by the time it goes through the old wiring and connections you may olny be getting 12 or less volts at the headlights.This leads to dull headlights.

A relay will provide full voltage to the lights.It re-routes the power normally flowing through the old wireing and connections and takes it directly from the battery ot alt.
    The old wires activate the relay,this take a very small amout of voltage to do.It "triggers" the relay to start sending full voltage to the lights.This leads to nice bright headlights.
    Hope that made sense. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    If your wiring is in good condition and your not running high wattage lights you don't need to do this.

7. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I decided to redo my wiring when the circuit breaker started tripping every few minutes. I didn't have any shorts, just old wires drawing too much current. I have quad headlights, so I hooked up 4 low, and high beams. I used one 30 amp fuse and relay per side for low beams. I now have four low beams, and I ran one 70 amp maxi fuse and 70 amp relay on each side for the high beams. These lights now give off so much light with the low and high on at the same time, that I don't have to use my 100 watt off road light much at all. And I am just using standard halogen bulbs. Only thing I had to do was use 10 gauge wiring for the power, and 8 gauge for the ground. One of the best things i've done to the trucks in a while. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

How much wire was needed?

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

In reference to this picture: [​IMG]

I assume this diagram is for k5's with single lights low/high in one light. I have an 82 with the 4 light low on top and high on the bottom. Is there a diagram for the 4 light setup?

10. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

yes, someone made a diagram for the 4 light system. i have a copy of it, but im not on my home computer right now. you could probably find it in a search, but ill try to get it up for ya later.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I have an 88 Burb & have thought of doing this. The only other thing I want to incorporate into mine is when I hit high beams, I want both high and low to come on. How would I do this different to do this?

PS - This is an extremely helpful and pratical thread for EVERYONE!!! A persone doesn't even need to have a 4x4 to appreciate this!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. jwingfield2k

jwingfield2k Registered Member

Splice your high beam wire into your driving light wire.

13. RatMan

RatMan 1/2 ton status

ok, here it is....

this is the relay setup for the 4 headlight system. in addition to simply making your healights brighter, this setup turns all four lights on when you put your high beams on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so basically, high beams means highs and regular driving lights /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

14. jberg62

jberg62 1/2 ton status

If I were to walk into pep boys or wherever tomorrow to purchase some relays in order for me to do this awesome looking setup, exactly what kinds of relays would I need to purchase?
    I mean would I ask for single pole double throw...or single pole single throw?
    Also, these are 30 amp relays correct?
    I'm most definitely wanting to do this as my headlights are cronically on the dull side.
    I've got quad headlights and for the time being don't even have my highbeams hooked up.
    Thanks for the info!

15. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I got my stuff from Daniel Stern Lighting . They are hella 30 amp dual 87 relays. They also came with connectors and a screw in interlocking mount for the Relays.

16. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Humm... I can't remember how many box's of wiring I needed, I bought a bunch, all the store had was 6'. I know I ended up needing alot more wire than I expected.

17. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

That will work.

Thanks

18. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Gonna add this to my list of to do's, so who want to do a write up? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

bring back a good post /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Thanks for bringing this back up. Looks like I got some wiring to do. I have almost 1.8 volts being dropped thru the wiring. Didn't Painless Wiring make a kit like this?