Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just installed some 60G glow plugs

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, Feb 25, 2003.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just swapped in 8 new GP's today. Truck sure starts easier.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought I had a fuel drain back problem for quite a while. Then the other morning I needed to move the truck and went through the agony of trying to fire it up after it sat for a while. 11 tries later it finally fired up, big cloud of smoke etc etc. I let it run for about 5 minutes and shut it off. Less than 5 minutes later I needed to move it back into the carport and I figured it would fire right up (still thinking fuel problem at this point) and it took at least 7 or 8 tries for it to fire up again. That pretty well ruled out fuel drainback as the cause in my mind.

Anyways, after sitting 3 days I screwed in the new 60G's and gave it a whirl. It fired on the second go round...very little smoke too!

I seem to recall someone saying you needed to use a manul glow button with the 60G plugs though...I am using the stock 83 glow controller right now. Should I convert it to a momentary push button or what?? If I understand it correctly the 60G's are much more durable but take longer to heat up...is this correct?

Rene

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With new glow plugs you will start alot better. I would suggest putting in a switch ao you can control the glow plug cycle. You can't burn 60s out by leaving them on like the 9s and 14s.

3. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you got your hard start problem figured out!

I installed 60G's last year, and then I made my own glow controller using a time delay relay out of an RV furnace. My glow plugs now glow for about 10 seconds and then shut off. Before, with the stock controller and 11g's, it wouldn't start below 30 degrees. Plus, I was constantly burning out plugs. Now it starts at 5 degrees F (sunday night's low....I didn't plug it in!), and I haven't burned a plug out yet.

Yes, the 60g's are more durable, but do take longer to heat up. Wiring up a manual switch would be the easiest route. But I like my automatic plugs, so that way other people can start my truck without knowing where the "secret switch" is located. Of course, it may be that you don't want other people to be able to start your truck, so perhaps a "secret switch" would be right up your alley! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Casey

4. tRustyK5

Well after sitting 5 hours in 20 degree weather and not plugged in it fired up on the second try using the stock controller. This is about as cold as it ever gets here so for now I'm not gonna mess with it.

If i decide to go manual 'secret button' later I'll re-read some of the older posts for the how to instead of bugging you guys again/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Just a couple of weeks ago I went to a local parts dealer(only one who sells parts for US vehicles in closest city)
    and asked how much 60G's would cost.He had never heard of 60G glow plugs!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifOffered some cheap a$$ plugs that replace 9G,11G plugs.
    So I end up calling to one company that imports car/truck parts...about 20$ a piece!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Oh well,I need to keep searching.I'm sure someone sells them cheaper than 20$/piece.

Still starts quite easy though,changed a bad lift pump and it helped a lot.

6. tRustyK5

I paid $142 cdn ($88 US) for 8...

Rene

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just a couple of weeks ago I went to a local parts dealer(only one who sells parts for US vehicles in closest city)
    and asked how much 60G's would cost.He had never heard of 60G glow plugs!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifOffered some cheap a$$ plugs that replace 9G,11G plugs.
    So I end up calling to one company that imports car/truck parts...about 20$ a piece!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Oh well,I need to keep searching.I'm sure someone sells them cheaper than 20$/piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are really small and lightweight.
    I wonder how much it would cost to ship them to you from here.
    I am sure it will be cheaper than ordering them from there through some company that wants to screw you.
    I would offer, but I guess if you get someone from the east coast, it would be cheaper in shipping.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are really small and lightweight.
    I wonder how much it would cost to ship them to you from here.
    I am sure it will be cheaper than ordering them from there through some company that wants to screw you.
    I would offer, but I guess if you get someone from the east coast, it would be cheaper in shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep,that came to my mind too.I need to think about that.Maybe if I buy lets say 5-10 sets of those and sell them forward little less than what they cost here,I could make some profit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah why not?

Let me know if you need my help.

10. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah why not?

Let me know if you need my help.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK,thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I looked today at work and my 89 6.2 calls for 60G GP's. $77.44 for 8 at my cost.

-Jeremy

12. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

I'll check at my work and see if I can beat the $77.00 for eight price, If so I'll be sure to let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Cool! I was talking with my brother today,and he agreed that we should get a few extra sets to sell forward /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif