Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just Learned a new Lesson in Fun

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I just got home from a fun new experience. Driving a Jeep with a manual transmission minus the clutch. I was getting off the freeway on the way to the parts store for the K5 and went to shift the gears in my Jeep and the clutch pedal shot to the floor and wouldn't return.

So I popped it in neutral and coasted to a side street. Got out and found that that the clutch rod from the clutch fork to the clutch linkage was missing in action. I tried to ghetto rig it with a screwdriver and bailing wire but it didn't work. I couldn't get enought travel out of it.

So the next option was start it in gear and shift match the RPM's. So that is what I had to do. Every time I had to stop at a stoplight I had to shut off the Jeep and start it again in gear. Let me tell you that is loads of fun :doah:

On a side note I did get to help someone else out while I was trying to fix my junk. A guy had a flat tire and the people at the tire store had put on a different size lug nut so his lugwrench wouldn't fit the last nut on his rim. I let him borrow my 4-way and he got it off and the new tire on. He was very greatful. Now I got to get back to fixing my junk, later

Harley

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah sinco shifting is always fun, you sincro downshifting too?

my buddy a few years ago had an s10 that the cluch was just worn right down so he always left it in, and shifted ike that for 3 weeks

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't clutch unless I'm in a hurry.

4. Hossbaby50

Oh ya, I forgot to mention that the syncho's in my T15 are wasted, and it grinds second on downshifts with the clutch. I didn't do much downshifting except when it would mess at idle into 2nd gear. I coasted until light would turn and coasted till I could get 2nd gear on the downshift at idle.

Harley

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

sounds like you had a load of fun.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That sounds like a lot of fun. I had that problem once while driving a semi on the Pennsylvania turnpike. The guy that I drove for was too cheap to pay for a service call so I had to drive it like that and find a shop to fix it.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Oh how can I let this one go?

I can't imagine any piece that large being broken/missing/coming apart in an auto transmission that would have let you get home at all. :p:

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I had to do that with my GMC when I drove it and the temp was below 0 outside because the clutch linkage would stick and the pedal would just sit on the floor. fun times.

9. Hossbaby50

Why do you think there is a SM465 sitting in my garage for the K5. I can't afford auto tranny's anymore. I need a tranny that will last and that is the 465.

Harley

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Harley , a guy I know who wants me to sell his stuff , has a complete setup for a 72 jeep , 727 torquelite and transfercase , as well as the complete 4 speed setup ( also axles and the whole jeep 2 motors , one machined and ready to assemble and heads with roller rockers ) :D

11. Hossbaby50

If I had money and a place to store stuff I would probably buy the stuff, but I don't. I just need to get the little rod that pushes the clutch fork in to fix it. I would like to do things like a 4spd setup, new motor, etc but I don't have time or money. I also do not want to change anything. The thing runs and I am not going to mess with it, escept when something brakes. I will then fix what brakes and only that.

My Jeep has sentimental value to me. It is one of the first memories I have in life and was the first thing I ever drove (was 5yrs old on my dads lap). I have many memories of the Jeep and I don't want to change it any. I also don't want to be tempted to take it offroad. Its only purpose for me is DD and hunting rig. I don't want to have it fall into the same trap my K5 has. I can't afford another money pit. I can't afford the money pit I have.:blush:

Harley

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had the same experience too

The 72 K5 I had did a similar thing--the 3 fingered pressure plate lost a finger a week after I installed it!--had to drive it without a clutch for a week until I could drive it 75 miles to my parents house the following weekend to pull the SM465 and NP205 out again to replace it--this was right after I had enough of the TH350 that was in it for 6 years that wouldnt have drive in the morning until the engine was fully warmed up!--I thought the SM465 was the answer to all my tranny troubles--WRONG!

I dont think the syncho's were ever the same after that week--and the output shaft splines were worn and it ate 2 couplers in less than a year--unless the 32 spline version is better than the ten spline ones,I dont think the hassle of coverting to standard is worth all the aggravation and effort--in my opinion,GM still hasnt made a good heavy duty tranny for its light trucks,manual or automatic-

-the SM465 is probably the strongest,but its not indestructable either,and many had issues with popping out of gear..--I dont know about the newer tranny's like the Alisson's and 6 speeds,but all GM trannys seem a bit on the weak side to me--but their competitors trannys arent much better either....I'd like to put a semi tranny in a GM truck that would never break....:crazy:

13. Hossbaby50

The newer style 32 spline 465's don't use a coupler sleeve like the old 10 splines did. The 465 I have is a 32 spline unit for a 208 tcase. The case plugs right on the back of the tranny w/adapter. No spline couplers. The 32spline should mess alot better then a 10 spline also.

The 465 is a pretty tough tranny. Everything will have issues but the 465 is about as issue free as it gets I believe/hope. I know it has alot less issues then my 700R4 has.

Harley

14. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

When I pulled the Rockwell T221 out of my truck, the output shaft of the 465 is so worn down the splines on it are actually sharp, I cut my finger on one. Another few months of driving/offroading and it probably would have stripped out, leaving me stranded. Not to mention the sleeve is toast as well.

If I keep the 465 (which I most likely will due to cost reasons) it will get the 32 spline upgrade. No sleeve = no problems. From what I hear the TH350's with the 27 spline sleeve suffer the same problem, but it isnt as widespread.

I think that the 465 is a very good transmission. I have never had problems with mine jumping out of 3rd, but have heard of it. Well, that 465 with 3rd gear problems has most likely never been out of the truck, and has been abused day in and day out for up to 30 years or more, and the lube has probably never been changed. So it needs a rebuild...I say its a good investment if it lasts another 30 yrs.

Of course, anything can and will break. there is an interesting thread over on pirate now about a guy who simultaneously destroyed a 14 bolt and messed up a 465 pretty bad, twisted & cracked the front input and fragged the rear output. Claims the truck was towing 20k when it happened.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=319825