Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just learned a new song on guitar, music is so cool

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigburban383, May 24, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I just learned the whole song Broken by Seether, and singing it too /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. You may have heard the Amy Lee Punisher version, I don't really like that version with her. I love Seether, I was into them when they first came out in 2002. If you like the song Fine Again, get the album because it good. Anyways, I love the song Broken and I can't believe I can play it.

Anybody else enjoy playing your favorite songs on guitar?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I remember my younger days, playing AM I EVIL on the geetar,was really cool I actually got really good at it, but to no avail /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

on air guitar /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

no seriously, I've just picked up the [darn] thing again and trying to get back to learning the chords and getting my fingers limbered back up. at one time, I could play most of the song Working Man by Rush, but have forgotten it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. how did you learn? any type of instutional videos and what kind? anything to help me out please.

4. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    on air guitar /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

no seriously, I've just picked up the [darn] thing again and trying to get back to learning the chords and getting my fingers limbered back up. at one time, I could play most of the song Working Man by Rush, but have forgotten it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. how did you learn? any type of instutional videos and what kind? anything to help me out please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am still some what a beginner, I have a buddy who is really good a guitar, but he didn't help that much. I accel at finger picking songs, but I did practice some chords. I pretty much for 20 minutes a day, practiced "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica mostly and little parts of songs: Nirvana like "Come As You Are", Metallica "One", Blink 182 "Adams song". for the first 2-3 weeks of learning this is all I did to break my hand in. I mean it was painfull all the time for those first few weeks, but after that I don't get sore anymore.

The way I learned these songs on my own is due to Tabs. Tabs are an extremly simple way to learn where to put your fingers and when to hit the strings. Heres and example:

|--------------|--------------|--------------|-------------------|
    |--------------|--------------|--------------|----------------0--|
    |-----4-----0--|-----4-----0--|-----4-----0--|-----4-----0-------|
    |--2-----2-----|--------------|--2-----2-----|-------------------|
    |--------------|--3-----3-----|--------------|--3-----3----------|

D/A Gmaj7(no3rd)
    |-(0)----------|--------------|--------------|-------------------|
    |-----4-----0--|-----4-----0--|-----4-----0--|-------------------|
    |--2-----2-----|--0-----0-----|--------------|-----2-----2-------|
    |--------------|--------------|--3-----3-----|--0-----2----------|

The bottom line is the big string. The numbers mean on what string what fret to hold. Like 2 means the second front for the top of the guitar, the second metal strip. 0 means the string is open no frets held down. This song is One by Metallica, very easy to learn. Put your pointer finger on the second string and your ring finger on the 3rd string(the tab above), its called a power chord so you got to stretch your fingers to do those because many songs use your fingers like that.

Practice is the only way you'll get better, if its pissing you off, try it later you'll get it.

HERES A GREAT TAB WEBSITE: Guitar Tabs

Search google for chords.

5. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That's killer stuff dood! I have been trying to play for more than 10 years now. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Tab is cool to learn, but if you want to get good quick, learn your chords and scales. There are tons of things out there to make learning easy. I never had a formal lesson and I have bad habits because of it. I play with my guitar slung low..too low for most guys I know. I am currently in a band that sounds like a mix of Metallica, Audio Slave, and Rage. I play for about 2 hours every night. I am teaching my kids to play too. My 12 yr old daughter can outplay some of the guys I've hung out with. My boy has taken a liking to the drums, so we'll see what happens there.

Anyway..play it HARD..play it LOUD! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

"Music is Life" frederich nietche (spelling?)

I can honestly say ,out of all the loves of my life, (brazilian jujitsu, trucks, women) MUSIC is by far one of the most rewarding. There is nothing like playing with my band. It's creative and full of power, emotion, anger and just plain fun.

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Sweet dude... I'm teaching myself using tabs too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...

I'm studying the works of Metallica (Nothing else Matters, One), and Staind (It's Been A While, Outside)... Not getting too far yet, I can't get my stupid left hand to do what I want it to /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can't get my stupid left hand to do what I want it to

[/ QUOTE ]
    Don't feel bad man. Some of us STILL can't get our left hand to do what we want it to /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

One that'll help is learning your scales and practice random wacky chord progressions and changes. It'll help your fingers automatically find where you want them to go.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    MUSIC is by far one of the most rewarding. There is nothing like playing with my band. It's creative and full of power, emotion, anger and just plain fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    That's killer stuff dood! I have been trying to play for more than 10 years now. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Tab is cool to learn, but if you want to get good quick, learn your chords and scales. There are tons of things out there to make learning easy. I never had a formal lesson and I have bad habits because of it. I play with my guitar slung low..too low for most guys I know. I am currently in a band that sounds like a mix of Metallica, Audio Slave, and Rage. I play for about 2 hours every night. I am teaching my kids to play too. My 12 yr old daughter can outplay some of the guys I've hung out with. My boy has taken a liking to the drums, so we'll see what happens there.

Anyway..play it HARD..play it LOUD! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I also am in a band (same sound as you got...exactly /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif). I am the most untalented, so I basically just write lyrics and sing right now. Its very difficult for me to make up stuff on guitar, then again i'm a beginner. Its cool because my best friends, since I was in 2nd grade, are in the band. We jam with this guy in his basement twice a week. Currently, our band is called Helm of Awe, its some Viking symbol. I love to play the drums too, I think its harder then the guitar, using all limbs independantly is a challenge.

Oh yeah, what are scales? Whats a good exercise?

12. bigburban383

[ QUOTE ]
    Sweet dude... I'm teaching myself using tabs too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...

I'm studying the works of Metallica (Nothing else Matters, One), and Staind (It's Been A While, Outside)... Not getting too far yet, I can't get my stupid left hand to do what I want it to /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I love the song Nothing Else Matters, but I am somewhat sick of hearing it /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

All I did was learn the intro for the first few weeks of learning (20-30 min a day), I mean getting it perfect. I just play it now for a warm up /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i just got back from band practice, actually. im playing with my dad's band on friday at a festival at a local beach. debut gig.... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    I was just thinking "Current Rock is really starting to suck..." Then I see "Just learned a new song on guitar, music is so cool"

Irony...

I play guitar and drums too. Music is probably the most powerful communication there is! I can't play much, but I love just goofing off with it...

Have fun with it, you've discovered one of life's best secrets!

15. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I like to play the intro to "Over the hills and far away" by Led Zeppelin. I can only play the intro, 'cause I basically suck, but it sounds so damn goood, I just keeep playing it over and over again. All I know are riffs and intros, anytime I try to jam with someone who really know how to play, I realize how much I suck. I know some scales and chord progressions, but I just can't seem to pull any cool sounding shot right out of my ass, and I am immensley impressed with those who can.

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am the most untalented, so I basically just write lyrics and sing right now

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't sell yourself short man. writing lyrics takes talent. I can't write a decent lyric to save my life, and I can't carry a melodic tune in a bucket when it comes to singing. I do the back up deep grunt stuff. Kinda like Jason did in Metallica. The most important thing it to have fun, once the fun is gone, so is the creativity and then it just plain sux. It's alot of work and practice too, but if it isn't fun at the same time, then something is seriously wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, what are scales? Whats a good exercise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if your serious and not yankin my chain...scales are a progression of notes up and down the octaves. The EASIEST scale to learn is the basic blues scale played with an E bar chord. That is the basis for 90% of the music that is played. I don't know how to write tab, but I'll do my best to give you the basic pattern. As long as you keep the pattern, it can be played ANYWHERE on the guitar. Here goes..Use your index finger to bridge all the strings on the 3rd fret and follow the pattern below.

6th string 3rd fret..6th string 6th fret
    5th string 3rd fret..5th string 5th fret
    4th string 3rd fret..4th string 5th fret
    3rd string 3rd fret..3rd string 5th fret
    2nd string 3rd fret..2nd string 6th fret
    1st string 3rd fret..1st string 6th fret

As long as you keep the fret spacing between the notes, you can play that scale anywhere on the guitar and it will sound good. Also, it is one of the most basic scales that is adapted to rock music because as long as you are in playing in the base key, or any octave higher or lower, it WILL sound right.

If you want a good exercise, practice that scale until you can do it anywhere on the frets on a whim. Also, once you get the scale down, start double picking it. Once you get double picking down, a whole new world of speed and licks open up to you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

I play that exact scale at several different places on the neck along with some major and minor scales as a warm up every day. I prolly spend 10 minutes just doing scales till my fingers get "warmed up".It works for me.

I'm sure there are much better things out there, so take it for what it worth. Remember, I am a self taught hack. Prolly not much good for giving advice. But it'll give something new for a day or two.

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

If I understand at all what you're explaining, this is how it'd look in tab form:

---------------------------3-6-
    ----------------------3-5------
    -----------------3-5-----------
    ------------3-5----------------
    -------3-6---------------------
    -3-6---------------------------

I played that and it doesn't sound too much like any scale I've ever played... When I did scales on my trumpet it sounded a LOT different... I think my guitar is in tune (my tuner says it is at least), but maybe this "blues scale" is different sounding?

And what the heck do you mean when you say "bridge with your index finger?"

18. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And what the heck do you mean when you say "bridge with your index finger?"

[/ QUOTE ]

he means use your index finger to bar all 6 strings at the 3rd fret, so your finger would be like the white bar behind the 1st fret (called the 'nut' IIRC). same thing as using a capo on the 3rd fret

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

All led zep songs rock.. and are bad ass to learn on the guitar.

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

If I'm reading tab correctly..you have it a little off..

---------------------------3-6- Bottom string (1st string)
    ----------------------3-6------
    -----------------3-5-----------
    ------------3-5----------------
    -------3-5---------------------
    -3-6---------------------------Top String (6th string)

Start with the top string and work your way down. It should sound a lot different than what you heard the first time.