Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just leave her in the truck....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Apr 28, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

2. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Thankfully she slept through it. Stupid people.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

child endangerment? wtf?

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the parents left a 2 year old in the vehicle by her self :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

so? they were in the gas station for 2 minutes. It's not like they were inside walmart buying groceries for an hour in the hot texas summer and left their kid in the car with the windows rolled up and the ac off. Get a grip.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

1. dumb thing to do esp if they knew the truck was going to be repo'd :crazy:
    2. it wouldn't be that bad leaving the kid in there, they where at a gas station and it was a 2year old that was asleep and se was probley buckled in a childs seat (cause she didn't seem to mind the wrecker picking the truck up on an angle so I doubt she was just laying back there, no seat belt), do you really want to wake a tied 2yr old for a 2minute trip into the gas station to pee and grab a coke? :dunno: (what the parents should have done was took turns going in)
    3. what do the guns have to do with the story, sounds like another attemp of the media for bad press... maybe he was selling them to pay for the truck payments, just got back from a gun show, took the family shooting... where's the rest of the story on the guns if their going to toss that in there... There where guns in the truck... so, where they loaded, where they were the 2yr old could have hurt herself or someone else :ears:

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

and just how long do you think it takes a kidnaper to see that little girle in there pull up next to the car break out the window and snatch her and put her in there car and drive off? 30 seconds? maybe 1min at most? but oh they only left her by herself for 2 min it would never happen to them. :rolleyes: thats the same thing that all these people who run into 7-11 and leave there car running in the parking lot. i only went in for a pack of smokes. i was only in there 2 min and i came out and someone stole my car. i just never thought it would happen to me :rolleyes: you need to get a grip. we are not in the 50's 60's 70's or even the 80's when things like that didnt happen all the time. **** they take kids right from your home and even take unborn kids from there mothers now killing the mom :eek: get a grip and look at the world we live in now :frown1: just think if only one of those parents had stayed in the vehicle it would have never happened but hey they only went in for like 2min :rolleyes:

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Don't know how long it takes a kidnapper...but if the parents were watchful of their vehicle while they were in the store, so what? You're right it's not the 50's, 60s, 70s or 80s anymore, but maybe it should be. I heard about the one where the kid was in the car and the adult was inside paying for his gas, and the kid kicked the tranny into neutral. The truck and kid rolled down the parking lot about about 5mph and hit a tree. Whooptee do. no harm no foul. But no, the parent is in court and the kid is in protective custody. So yeah, you're right, we should coddle our kids every waking second and make sure somebody holds their hand at all times...if not us, definately the gvt. ****ing insane.

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

For what it's worth, I let my truck idle when I'm in the C-store. And sometimes it even has my dog in the back. :D Hell once I even left my wife in there. OH NO! Running, with my wife in there. Hell she could have been robbed! That's wife endangerment. LMFAO. ****ing liberals.

10. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Laketex, I entirely agree with you. Leaving a child in the car while shopping is a no-no, but if you just have to run into the convienence store for a gallon of milk or pay for your gas, I see no problem. Of course it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out on the car though. To wake up and unbuckle a sleeping 2 year old would take more time than to buy your soda. On the other hand, at the impound yard I have recovered some cars that were stolen by leaving them running for "just a sec". I do still do it though. It is easy to point fingers after something happens. Our country wants to point the finger at someone everytime something like that happens. Sometimes things are just an "accident". No need to try to find someone to punish and possibly destroy ther life over it. And don't even start about the guns. The media just likes to mention that to fuel the fire. Like what was previously said, there was no reason given for having the guns there. Even if they were legit, the damage has been done.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Regarding why the guns were mentioned, charges were filed because of them. To me, that implies they were not legal or not being handled/stored legally. If they were, the charges should not have been filed.
    Firearms in the hands of citizens is a political war; if we want to keep our gun rights, everyone with one needs to be responsible and law-abiding with their care of them.
    Illegal firearms that can make the news will always be ammunition (pun intended) to anti-gun nuts and liberalized media.

Regarding running inside for two minutes and leaving the kid in the car being blown out of proportion, well, I don't think it's being overblown. If you leave your kid inthe car when you run inside real quick, what good is it going to do you to watch them while you're getting done what you need to?
    So you can see someone jump in and take off with your car AND kid, and then not even have a way to go after them? I've heard PLENTY of stories of irresponsible parents leaving their car idling with a kid in it and the car being stolen. Often the theif just wants the car and leaves the kid somewhere, but sometimes they don't and the kid dies or gets severely injured unnecessarily.

In this case, if the vehicle was able to be repo'd while the parents were in there "for 2 minutes", then obviously they either were in there longer than 2 minutes, or they weren't paying enough attention to their car and it's contents.

No offense and I'm not trying to bash you Laketex, but I think it's kinda silly to say the parents were within the right. What's even worse is that there were two of them, they didn't need to both be gone at the same time. The kid was essentially kidnapped, and whether they were watching or not, the parents did nothing or were unable to stop it from happening because they were not present at the vehicle when they could have been, they only recovered the kid later. Same thing, just different (luckier) circumstances.
    You wanna tell me that's OK, then we'll just have to disagree.

Regarding coddling and holding kids hands, I think you're blowing that out of proportion, although I agree there is too much of that in the modern world. But an event occurred that could have been prevented by (what I consider) common sense. I can't beleive this happened and someone would even say "it's no big deal".
    It's not coddling or babying your kid to stick to your responsibility and keep them supervised in a completely uncontrolled/uncontrollable environment. Kids CAN'T raise themselves, and a 2 year old certainly can't stop her own abduction.

Hopefully, the parents had some sense knocked into them, I think the bricks they probably shat are enough to prevent it again if they give a hoot about the kid, I don't know if charges are necessary.

Maybe it's just our geographic differences... We have alerts up here too often about child abductions or attempted abductions. Call it babying or coddling my 4 year old and 6 year old, fine. Then I baby them, because I will not, no matter how incredibly inconvenient it often is, leave them alone in public. MAYBE, if I get a spot right in front of the door, I'll lock up the car good and run in like to pay at a gas station, but that's even no good if someone can convince one of them to unlock the doors. Up here, I guess we're on-guard more.
    And I do understand where you're coming from, I've left the car running when I pull up to blockbuster, jump out and drop a movie in the box if the parking lot's virtually empty.
    I just think you're not really looking seriously at the situation. It's often too easy for a non parent to have an opinion of a parent's actions, but believe me, that opinion can change a lot when you become a parent...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

NO kidding.

13. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

With regards to the gun thing. They will file charges until everything is straightened out. And they are trying to make a connection between leaving a child in the car with guns. Just like how they love to say "alcohol was involved" everytime someone does something really stupid. This implies that they were in the wrong by drinking and it shouldn't have happened. Like when I accidently set my buddys lawn and chairs on fiire last weekend by putting a little gas on the fire. If anything happened the paper would have said "alcohol was involved" just because we had beer making us look like a couple of drunks. I wasn't even halfway through my first one. I was just being stupid. Damn, got a little carried away. What I am saying is I hate the media. They twist everything into making someone look like a criminal.

14. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think it's a tad extreme myself.

Like was mentioned, they should have taken turns going in, in the event they both needed to go in. With my FD schedule I have 48 hrs off between shifts. Years ago when my older daughter was a baby, there were many times when it was just me and her. When I had to stop at the gas station for something I would take her out of the carseat and take her in with me, even if I only was going to be a second. Is it a big hassle to unbuckle her, take her in, and bring her back out and re-buckle her in her carseat for a quick trip into the store... ? You bet it is.. but her safety was more than worth it to me.

I think leaving her in the truck so they could both go in is pretty bad judgment ... but I'm not sure it qualifies as child endangerment... not for a quick trip in. But I have to wonder how quick the trip was.. seeing as how their truck was repo'd without them knowing it. Granted, most repo's happen very quick.. so I have to assume that was the case.

It's my guess, that it happened, and was blown out of proportion by the the powers that be. Not cool ..???? Perhaps.. but if they had taken turns going in, they wouldn't be in this mess....

So, they moral of the story is, take the needed percautions, or pay for it, one way or another.

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You sure about that? I didn't know that. That doesn't sound right to me unless they filed the charges before requesting the paperwork on them. I don't know the law on that, so I can't say one way or another. If that's accurate, then that's a stupid process. That's like a cop arresting you at a routine traffic stop, then asking for your drivers license.

16. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Anyone else wonder why the store clerk didn't mention that there was a tow truck hooking up to their truck? If they had, the parents could have run out and at least tried to stop the guy from driving off with their kid... Maybe we should blame Mr./Ms./Miss/Mrs. store clerk :D

17. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

My quick .02:

I have never left my daughter in the car unattended while I went into a store, no matter how quickly. I don't think it's necessarily negligent, just lazy and definitely not worth filing charges (if it was really only 2 min)

In addition, I have left multiple guns in the car unattended on many occasions so I'm not sure what the problem is there as long as it was locked.
    Although the last time I went to the range in the with the soft top on it made me really nervous to run in and get a couple of boxes of ammo, I hauled ass back out too.

18. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I wonder how many people that leave their kids in the car because "I'm only going to be a minute" would leave their wallet on the dash, because "I'm only going to be a minute".

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

for those of you questioning the length of time they were out of view of teh vehicle, just so you know... when your vehicle is repoed, they dont take the time to check your tire pressures, inspect all of the lights and signals, check the fluids, and adjust your mirror. its either key in the ignition and go, or back up to it with a wheel lift and drag it to a safer location to properly secure it. VERY quick procedure.

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Amrow probablly didnt care, or who ever the clerks name was, lol.