Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just my luck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Jun 10, 2001.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Well, i took off my rear diff cover and what did i find? FREAKIN' 3.07 gears!!! I am not happy about that seeing as how i have 36" tires!!! Its ring and pinion time. yay!! What would you guys expect shops to charge for the labor portion of that job on a GM 12 bolt?

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Ever think about going for the land speed record in a K5?

Twiztid

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I really would like to see how fast it can go, a couple days ago, i found out i have been driving in 2 low since i got the truck and i have reached 70 on the highway. Pretty soon i'll see what this baby can do!!

Check out my 73 K5 http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

70MPH in 2wd low!!!!!!!!!!! Damn!!!!!!!!!

I think the going rate on labor is around 200 per axle. With that and the cost of gears you might look into just swaping axles.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

5. Hate for buttin' in on the post, but tell me again how to find out what kinda gears you have? Pull the cover off and look for some numbers? Or count teeth? I really think I have two different sets of gears in the front and back, so need to find out which ones are better so I can have the other ones done to match.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I currently have 3.08s and 32s - I shift into OD at 85mph (where the speedo stops) Have no idea what the top speed is but it is good! People get outa the way quick when they see a truck moving that fast..... :)
    The 3.08s are gone by the end of the month.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Jack the axle off the ground, pop the cover, wipe the edge of the ring gear off as you rotate a tire, until you find all the stamped in numbers. There will be two together (like 41:11) which is your ratio. Divide big by small number, and know you know.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Lousy ratio is what got me into a 14 bolt from my 12 bolt a couple of years ago. My Jimmy came with 2.73's in a 12 bolt. It had the 4 speed and 33's...[​IMG]
    Its pretty hard to find undesireable gears in a 14 bolt, mine are 3.73's but 4.10's are even more common.
    I think it would cost no more for a good 14 bolt and 3/4 ton matching front than it would to do a ratio swap on a known weak link...

Just my 2 cents...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>