Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Just my luck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigoltrux77, Nov 2, 2006.

1. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

So today was the first day ive been able to start working on my truck since ive been back. I push the truck into the Auto Shop where its been sitting at for the past 9 months (on post) and start to take off the TBI Intake to put on the new carb one. When i get the intake off i realize it has water in it. Not alot, but enough. So now im sure its not going to work. Is there anything i can do about my water problem? Or is this motor shot? Someone please help, im pretty sure i cant afford another engine.

2. bigoltrux77

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

where specifically was the water at? you do know that there are coolant passages in the intake, right?

4. bigoltrux77

Well They are in just about all the ports, intake and exhaust. I read that i can take out the plugs and crank her up and it should shoot all the water out. I know it wasnt ran with water in it, its just from sitting in Louisiana for 9 months getting rained on. Is this right? Should i use any kind of Wd40 or something of that nature. Oil change is a must i know.

5. bigoltrux77

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Was the motor sitting outside in the rain with the throttle body exposed?

7. bigoltrux77

The truck was outside with the hood unbolted but on. i guess the wind had blown it off during a storm, so some water got in the manifold, there was not Throttle body on it, just a Rag that soaked up as much of the water as it could.

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

use compressed shop air to blow it out, wear safety glasses or a shield, blow it out, spray some blaster down in the cylinders with the plugs out and crank it to make sure it isnt TOO rusted up... should be fine...

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

personally, you've got the manifold off, yank the heads and have them checked out. you're into it this far, might as well fix it right the first time.

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a soaked rag is nothing. I had the carb off to change to a truck avenger. MY brother tried to start the truck to jump start his car. Pumps fuel everywhere, the IGNITES! Everything from the fan shroud to the steering wheel is gone. Fire department put more then a few gallons of water down the intake, along with with every where else. No way of cranking the engine cause the wiring harness is toast.

Swapped the cab and wiring harness. crank the motor over and spew only a little water. change the oil and filter. she runs fine.

surface rust comes quick. really bad damaging rust takes time. I'm sure that I not the only one on here hoping that a good cleaning out crank will be all you need. Good luck and thank you for serving.