Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

just need some opinions(shocks)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85army tank, Mar 18, 2003.

1. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif i have an 85blazer with no lift and am going to be puting a duel shock set up on the front of it it is from rancho.i am looking at rancho and trailmaster shocks. does any body with a mostly stock rig have any opinions on which shocks give a better ride . i do some wheeling but nothing real hard core mostly mud and lots of it.does having duel shocks ride stiffer the one per side any opinions would be great /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

many people have said dual shocks ride like a rock

3. 85army tank

4. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I personally don't know from experience, but everything I have heard about dual shocks is that they ride terribley and are a waste of money. I am running a 4" Procomp lift and Procomp ES3000 shocks and my K5 rides like a the axles were welded straight to the frame.

Just my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have been running dual shock in the front for several years. When my truck was still stock it had some weenie little shocks on there that made dual shock a necessity. When I lifted it I kept the dual shocks because I knew that my truck would see plenty of air and high speeds. I did however go with the rancho RS9000's because they were adjustable so I could "dial down" the ride harshness for street driving and stiffen them up for offroad use. I found that even whith dual shock I still did not have adequate dampening for the weight of my vehicle for sustained high speed offroading (due to heat build up and shock fade.) In other words, for a stock application a single large bodied shock (rancho, procomp, superlift, etc.) would be adequate but once its lifted you need to determine what conditions the vehicle will be used in. I would say to just use a single shock and later on (if your ride is still bouncy) you can add another shock.

6. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i'm running dual rancho shocks on my '82 with a 4inch lift and 35s...(the cheep ranchos) and have my tires aired to 30lbs and my truck rides like a new caddy...hmm all this talk about stiff rides...maybe i need new shocks..'cause my aunts 2002 accord rides stiffer than my truck???

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

maybe ur ranchos have blown their seal... i had rs5000s and they were stiff as hell. whats worse, at one point i had the dual shocks up front. poopy! swap some DT8000s under ur rig and you'll be stylin'. WTO is the source. mid-$30s per shock last time i heard.

j

8. Panther212

Panther212 Registered Member

I've heard many reccomendations for the plain old Monroe HDs available at Napa, Checker, etc. Supposedly they're the same as ranchos or somethin but idk. I have a feeling all mid $30 shocks perform about the same. I've also heard good stuff about the heckelthorn or whatever shock rough country uses.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

mid $30 shocks are definitely not "all the same"... i wouldnt trade one DT8000 for 50 RS5000s...

j

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I used to run the duals up front... I took them off and gave the brackets away...

11. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I have the factory dual shock set up on my '89 Jimmy (Quadra-suspention or some [censored] like that they call it), and believe me, you KNOW when you hit a bump. I personally like Monroe shocks, but for something aftermarket that's a little more perfomance oriented, I like both Rancho and Edelbrock. I have Rancho 5000's on my Jimmy, and I have Edelbrock's on my Cherokee (yeah, yeah, I know...Insert -gag-puke-gag- here..) but the J**p rarely gets played with really hard. The Edel's are more of a combo-shock for teucks that are mainly street cars with ltd. off-road use.

12. 85army tank

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifyou aint going to get any complants about a jeep here i have a 92 wrangler also /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. 85army tank

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifthanks for all your opinions and i thought i was going to get sh!t for asking a stupid ? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

Trust me, I dont even like it all that much. For some stupid reason, the owner before me added a power sunroof. And now, needless to say I get Damp-ass and a bonus shower after it rains. And that's not bringing up the lovely bounce the roof has now when driving. The roofs on those things are flimsy as it is, and that idiot added a sunroof. ~shaking head~ Some people...I tell ya. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I had the quad shock setup on my old 84 blazer. One of the bolts on the passengers side decided to snap on the way to work one morning sending the shock up into the side of the block. Total damage was not bad but made the truck run really crappy till I got it fixed. Ended up with a swinging severed spark plug wire, two broken plugs and a cut in a second wire. I would never the quad setup again.
    Second, the dual shocks are really stiff. I usually run a gaberial LT shock for about $28 each and a lifetime warrenty. I just switched over to the sensitrac shock and hate it! My body roll doubled because the shock speeds to a stop causing the body to shift then stop fast. I'm switching back to gabrials on my DailyDriver soon!

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I second the Gaberial Lt shocks. I like them. I replaced my Rancho RS5000s with Gaberials. Like the Gabes a LOT better.
    Better ride, handle better, Dont fade on long washboard dirt roads at high speed. I have the dual shock set up but you really dont need dual shocks unless you do a lot of desert running (I do)
    Great 30.oo shock /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif